Sunday, August 11, 2013

it's a nice day to start again

I can't believe I have to go to the day job tomorrow...this is the peril of working all weekend. I think I'm going to take Labor Day weekend off and blow it on coke and hookers. And by 'coke and hookers' I mean 'sleep and books'.

But there's no rest until then...the day job is going to be busy the next couple of weeks, and I have about thirty thousand words to write in the next couple of weeks. This is theoretically possible but realistically impractical. However, I made a decent dent today - I wrote close to four thousand words, which is something like sixteen pages, which is way more than I thought I was going to achieve this morning. Prudence and Alex were killing me this weekend, and unfortunately I had the realization that the antagonist in the book may be hotter than Alex is -- but that could be because I currently want to stab Alex in the face with a steak knife, so I have a lot in common with the antagonist. Hmm.

However, I persevered and bled the pages out, first over food at Morning Due, then at my desk, then over an overpriced dinner for one at a French bistro down the street. But if the cost of writing the best words of the day was buying a steak and a glass of wine for myself, the cost was totally worth it. Then I came home, theoretically wrote some more (in practice I got less than a page), did a tiny bit of work for the day job, and then messed around with some epub formatting software until now. I want to update all the backmatter for my existing books to include some of the tips and tricks I learned in Atlanta (including buy links specific to each retailer rather than feeding through my site, updating the calls to action, etc)., but I've been putting it off because my old epub formatting software broke and I didn't want to face the learning curve of a new one (or buy a new laptop to regain compatibility with the latest upgrade of the old software). But I want to sell more books, and every little bit helps...so I suppose I should get on this.

Anyway, that's my super boring, super productive, super uninteresting, super repetitive day. And now I shall bid you adieu. Goodnight!

No comments: