Tuesday, June 16, 2015

heart skipped a beat

Howdy from Texas, where everything is bigger, including my headache. But the headache is probably because I had a glass of wine on the plane and another glass of wine at dinner, without enough water to combat both the wine and the flight. I know, I never learn.

However, my day went perfectly smoothly...I didn't write before leaving for the airport, but I took care of everything I needed to take care of around the house, left exactly on time, hit no traffic at all, enjoyed the benefits of TSAPre to get through security within five minutes, and then had a v. leisurely breakfast at the airport before boarding my flight. The flight was perfectly on time as well, and 3.5hrs is long enough to get some work done without being so long as to be unbearable.

And the work I did was mostly pleasant - I reread everything I've written for zee gargoyles, and I'm pretty happy with what I have, so I think I might pursue the plan I mentioned yesterday and work on it for a couple of weeks. If nothing else, I think it will help me to get back into the writing groove - once I've had several days in a row of writing a lot of words, it's easy(ish) to keep going, but it's the starting that is the hardest. I don't know how much I'll get done in Texas, but I'm excited to work on this project again (as long as I haven't jinxed myself by acting happy about it).

Anyway, I got to Austin at 5pm, which was v. shortly before my cousin Drew (you may know him as Drewbaby, although he's over twenty-one now) arrived from Denver. Our respective parents were already at the airport - Uncle Mark flew in this afternoon, and my parents drove down (with a stop in Oklahoma last night). I used all of my powers of sorcery to find someplace for us to eat (and by sorcery I mean I used Yelp to find someplace that looked tasty, and then Waze to avoid traffic). I was pretty pleased with the results - we went to Little Barrel and Brown, where I had a v. tasty burger and a v. respectable glass of malbec. They served the burger with 'marrownaise', which I was surprisingly not into - the mayonnaise had bone marrow in it, but it just resulted in this weirdly unflavorful sauce. Maybe it would have been better on a bun, but it was a bit strange on its own. However, the burger was great, so yay.

After Austin, we drove the ninety minutes or so to Kerrville, which is home base for the family reunion (although we're here a couple of days early). My parents and I arrived just as dusk was settling, and I hung out with them for a bit before adjourning to my room to wait for [censored] and watch the last quarter of the Warriors/Cavs game. [censored] arrived around 10:40pm, which was way later than I'm sure he wanted to arrive, but at least he made it despite the best attempts of Tropical Storm Bill to derail him. And now we're watching 'Highway Thru Hell', which I'm telling you even though [censored] usually prefers that all of our activities be [censored], but this show (about guys helping other guys to get out of the ditch during winter storms in Canada) is so fucking boring that I see no point in censoring it.

Now, though, I believe I shall go to bed so that I can be so fresh and so clean for tomorrow's festivities - goodnight!

No comments: