Tuesday, June 02, 2015

boom clap the sound of my heart

Today was close to perfect, even if my cold continues to conspire against me. I woke up around 6:30, made some tea, and crawled back into bed with my laptop and notebook for a couple of hours. I'm kind of stuck on the book, but I think I made some progress today in terms of figuring out what the problem is, so that's exciting. But I had to stop working around 9:20 so that I could make some eggs and fruit, put on clothes, pack more clothes, and scurry down to the south bay to see Alyssa. She gave me a decent workout, although I was perhaps more fatigued than usual due to the cold, but it was great to see her.

After the workout, I showered, ate some lunch, and went to San Mateo to meet Barbara and Anne for a writing date. I'm v. much looking forward to doing these regularly; it actually works perfectly for me to stop there and write with them for a couple of hours, since it's totally on the way and I can get home after with relatively little drama. We weren't entirely productive today, since I hadn't seen either of them in two months, and Barbara had just come back from a publishing conference in NYC, so there was much to gossip about. But we eventually stopped talking and committed to writing...and for me that meant continuing to scribble in my notebook, which wasn't the worst thing ever.

Eventually, though, I had to leave before traffic became abysmal. When I got home, I immediately went to the grocery store to pick up a couple of things for tonight, and then I came home and made chicken tortilla soup and a simple but tasty arugula salad for the family gathering I hosted. This was originally supposed to be something last weekend with John and Jess, but it ended up being scheduled for today, which meant I could add Claude since she was back in town. Chandlord (aka Vidius Chandicus) showed up after we'd finished consuming animal flesh, so she joined us for more of John's (surprisingly excellent - and I only say 'surprisingly' because he was the progenitor of such famous drinks as the Tokyo Army, the Blackberry, the Sugarcane Drain, the Blood of Lincoln/Body of Lincoln, etc.) margaritas and Claudia's wonderfully delicious boysenberry cobbler (which was gluten free to boot).

We discussed all manner of things: cat parties, moving, life, the use of pineapple cake as an assault weapon, bad ideas, artificial intelligence, whether mothers are capable of correctly identifying whether their son is, indeed, a 'catch', etc., etc. But now the time has come to say goodnight so that I can be similarly productive tomorrow - goodnight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bad ideas!