Friday, June 05, 2015

i'm gonna take you to bed and love you, i swear, like the end is here

Today was the perfect blend of productive and social...I probably need to keep amping up the productivity so that I can write books faster, but for today, I'll take what I did. I'm still suffering from my sore throat/cough situation, so I let myself sleep in this morning, but I got up at a reasonable hour, folded yesterday's laundry situation, showered, got ready, and mourned the final, ignoble death of my hair dryer (which luckily dried my bangs before departing from this earth, so I didn't curse its memory as much as I might have).

After all of that oh-so-interesting drama, I walked down to soma and set myself up at a Starbucks near my old SF office, where I wrote a couple of pages while drinking an iced latte. This is farther than I would normally walk to find a coffee shop in which to write, particularly since I probably passed ten Starbucks on the way there, but it was worth it for the free lunch I indulged in after. Said lunch was accomplished with Dave and Shanti (not an employee, but I've met her several times since she works for the charity whose gala I went to a couple of months ago). And while it was the first time I went back to the man for free food in almost a month (it will be four weeks on Monday since I quit), this lunch was hydra-like in my ability to get more free food, since I ran into two other people who expressed interest in having me over for lunch. And since I'm having lunch with Sriram on Monday and Gyre on Tuesday, it seems clear that I won't starve for awhile...

Anyway, lunch was fun, and the coffee after was v. restorative. When we were done catching up, we walked Shanti to Caltrain, and then Dave and I took a detour to the mall, where I bought a new hair dryer at Sephora and Dave picked up something at Nordstrom. Our errands thus accomplished in extremely efficient fashion, we parted ways, and I completed my fiveish miles of walking by walking back to my apartment, where I attempted to rectify the sticky situation that was my hair (#protip: don't shop for hair dryers with someone who is bored and may spray you with every hair product in the vicinity), and then took a nap (#protip: naps are awesome).

But I dragged myself out of my slumber to spend a delightful evening with Vidya (aka Chandlord, aka Vidius Chandicus, aka my brother from another mother). We met at a new wine bar that opened at Post and Leavenworth, which is five blocks from me and a couple of blocks from her, and it was v. nice to find another place where we can meet for a drink (as though that has been a problem for us...). So we had two glasses of wine and some cheese there, and we were supposed to part ways after that...but her late evening plans got pushed back, so we proceeded to Benjamin Cooper (the successor to Big, which Chandlord was a big fan of several years ago), where we had some tasty whisky cocktails mixed up by Vincent and Alex.

Whisky was entirely unnecessary at that point in the evening, but it was good to properly catch up with my landlord after several weeks apart. Also, I think I paid for her cocktail at Benjamin Cooper, but it's worth it not to get evicted. We eventually parted ways, and she went off to be a hip young person in Oakland while I came home to eat tuna salad on toast and consider watching a movie (but realizing I'm too tired to watch a movie). Par for the course, I guess.

And now I shall sleep so that I can write in the morning before my aggressive socializing commences -- goodnight!

No comments: