Thursday, June 04, 2015

i guess i'm floating

I think I'm finally, slowly, starting (don't jinx it by saying it, Sara...) to figure out what I'm doing. Or maybe not. But today felt better in terms of productivity than I've felt in ages, even if it's all still baby steps.

Even though I was exhausted last night from not sleeping at all the night before, I for some reason woke up at five a.m. My eyes felt gritty as dawn overtook my skylights, and my mind was very monkeyish, so I took the highly unusual (but hopefully oft-to-be-repeated) step of picking up my ipad and reading in bed for an hour (Amy Poehler's memoir, continued). Then I realized I was still really tired, so I slept for another hour.

This may not convince you that I was productive at all...in fact, I could understand how you might conclude the opposite. But one of my big goals is to read a lot more, since I've read very little in the last couple of years and feel like I'll be better for it if I've got more words and stories sparking in my head. So by the time I got out of bed, I already felt a little smug for having read something so early.

That smugness turned into general joie de vivre as the morning progressed. I walked down to the my old neighborhood in brilliant, unusually warm (for San Francisco) sunshine while talking to my parents, who joked that the city is now my 'campus', since I can go to whatever building I choose to do my work (although obviously coffee shops are more likely to be chosen than, say, the MUNI yard). Then I had breakfast at my favorite cafe, where Tony teased me as he always does. And then I saw my aesthetician, walked back to my neighborhood, and promptly attempted to be productive.

It's also possible that I procrastinated...I did five loads of laundry and cleaned the kitchen, which is always a sign. But my sheets are crisp and clean, so I have no regrets. And despite my procrastination (and the mani/pedi I got in the afternoon), I managed to get a little over 1000 words today, which was my unofficial goal. I need to get many more words than that if I'm to produce a full book on the schedule I plan to adhere to, but this was a very good, very necessary, very block-destroying first step.

In addition to writing, I also briefly talked to Katie (she didn't send regards to my blog readers, but I'll pretend that she thought of you), ate some tasty leftovers, and finished reading Amy Poehler's book. And now I'm falling asleep as I'm typing this, so sleep is imperative - goodnight!

No comments: