Thursday, July 16, 2015

i gave her my heart but she wanted my soul

I still haven't packed for NYC, but since I have over twenty-four hours to rectify this, you shouldn't be surprised. Today was great, though. I woke up relatively early and went to the cafe (and made the mistake of walking down Sutter instead of Bush; one block is enough to determine whether you smell normal city odors or the horrific wafts of human feces everywhere), where I worked for a few hours (although I did more business stuff than writing). Then I walked to my old neighborhood, where I checked in on Tony; he was in good form, as usual, and I felt v. relaxed and well-satisfied sitting at the counter and chatting with him while eating my breakfast/lunch. He even commented on how relaxed I look now that I don't have the day job - I may be a seething mass of nerves inside, but I certainly look healthier than I have in a long time, so I'll keep faking it until I make it.

After lunch, I went to the AT&T store to get a new screen protector for my phone (the last one died a noble death in the line of duty when I dropped my phone on the marble threshold of my apartment as I changed my mind about exiting; I thought the screen had cracked, but only the protector had), and then I did some desultory shopping on Union Street (the first time I've bought new clothes since leaving my job two months ago, which is a new record for me - and by limiting myself to only one dress and one top, that's also a new record).

But then I suddenly wanted to be home immediately, so I walked back to my apartment. The weather was gorgeous on the walk back, and I never get anything done in the doldrums of mid-afternoon anyway, so I decided to put on a swimsuit and write/brainstorm by the pool (which I haven't used since I moved in). But in the twenty minutes it took me to put on my swimsuit / cover my pale flesh in sunscreen / hydrate / gather my things, the fog had rolled in, and so the pool was way chillier than I expected. I gritted it out for twenty minutes and took a sort-of nap on the deck, and then I sat in the hot tub for ten minutes to warm up again before coming back upstairs and showering. So the plan was nearly entirely unsuccessful - but now that I've realized this is a potentially viable option (barring fog), I expect to do it whenever I have the chance.

Anyway, feeling v. smug with myself for taking advantage of the fact that I can do whatever I want, I showered, dried my hair, and walked to Fillmore to work for an hour before dinner. I decided to do my writing at a wine bar, which was a mistake; the regular clientele turned out to be super annoying (moreso because the place was dead and so there was no masking their conversation), and then a couple who may have been on a first or second date sat next to me, and I was too amused/appalled by them to concentrate. But I did some good planning for the next Rafe/Octavia scene, which should make tomorrow easier...

...and then I went to Troya, where I met Lauren (aka Subz) for a delightful dinner/catch-up session. It's now completely and utterly apparent that she's having a baby, which is super exciting (and reminds me that I need to do some stuff for the baby shower). And she was in v. fine form; but then, I always enjoy seeing her. I'm not sure she always enjoys hearing the latest ridiculous updates from my life, but she at least pretends to be amused (like the people on the date I observed earlier, although I think she actually does like me).

And now, after coming home and doing another hour of work (is it work if I was looking at hotels in Hawaii? my tax writeoff for the Hawaii conference says yes), it's time to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: