Saturday, July 18, 2015

i'll be holding all the tickets and you'll be owing all the fines

I have arrived in New York, and it is glorious - just as glorious as you always guessed in your youth, even though the guys in the Pace Picante Sauce commercial made it sound like a veritable hellmouth of sin and tastelessness.

As you can probably guess from that opener, my day was lovely and mildly alcohol-fueled. I got up at 4:20, was in a cab at 5:15, managed to grab a v. quick, rushed breakfast at the airport, and successfully boarded my 6:45am flight without incident. I flew first class because I'm a fancy bitch (also, because I need tax writeoffs and this is the only work trip I have this year, although I guess I can write off the plane ticket to Hawaii if I buy before the end of the year), so I was pretty comfortable all the way to NYC. That meant that I was able to sleep, daydream, listen to my music, and eventually write five pages of Rafe and Octavia's story while drinking a Bailey's on the rocks...all before noon my time.

That would have been the perfect morning, but the time change meant that I arrived in NYC at three p.m., and then I had to collect my bags and grab a taxi to Terry's (remember her? she was my roommate). It is a million and ten degrees in NYC, but it was actually pretty nice today (I think it's supposed to be a million and thirty degrees tomorrow), so I have survived Day 1. Terry's place is super cute - it's v. nicely decorated, just the right size for her, and on a street that has some v. dangerous shopping opportunities.

So we caught up for a brief moment in her apartment before I switched into something more befitting of our state (single, relatively young, not homeless or traveling cross-country) and we trekked out in search of wine and snacks. Our first stop was a wine bar near Terry's place, where we had cheese and prosciutto (I was starving) and a glass and a half of wine each. Then we went down to the West Village (via subway - Terry actually takes public transportation here, which is as shocking to me as it is to you, but it's the thing to do in NYC, I guess), walked around a bit, and then had dinner at Extra Virgin (a Mediterranean-ish place, although my steak with bearnaise sauce was way more French than anything else). It was v. posh and lovely, although since we split a bottle of wine, I probably would have thought anything was v. posh and lovely.

Anyway, that all gave us loads of time to catch up, which was lovely; we've been doing a better-than-expected job of having occasional video calls to stay in touch, but in person and mildly intoxicated is always better. Then we came home (via cab, because Terry hasn't totally succumbed to public transit yet), sat on the couch, and watched three episodes of Parks and Rec (because neither of us have changed at all, obvi).

And now I desperately need to sleep - I didn't get my afternoon nap today, and we have brunch plans and Broadway play plans and dinner plans and all sorts of other plans tomorrow, and I theoretically want to write before all that (hahaha). Goodnight!

No comments: