Sunday, July 19, 2015

listen to your heart

Today was quite decidedly awesome, thanks for asking! I lazed about like the wench I am until nine, when Terry went for a run and I decided I should shower and pull myself together. Then we went down to Chelsea for a special brunch with an extra special guest appearance from Tammy (aka Tammmmehhhhhh) and Daniel (aka the sad alpaca, although he's looking particularly happy and buoyant these days with his spiffy new hair). Tammy is living in Philadelphia now, but Daniel moved to NYC and she comes up to see him pretty often, and she graciously agreed to come up and hang out with me on my free day in the city.

So we went to Montmartre, a French bistro-y place that was super cute and super delish. I drank sparkling rosé, which makes everything right with the world, and coffee, which makes things even righter. I survived Terry/Tammy/Daniel splitting pancakes as an appetizer in front of me, but it was worth it since my breakfast was super tasty (soft scrambled eggs, smoked salmon, and potatoes). After brunch, we went to Chelsea Market to wander around, and I had vague PTSD flashbacks to my day job since I used to go to Chelsea Market every time I visited the NYC office. We then proceeded up to the High Line for popsicles, since it was a million and thirty degrees today and we were all dying despite our best efforts to dress for the heat.

It was totally awesome to see Tammy, of course; I hadn't seen her and Daniel since Shedletsky's wedding last year, where we were all groomsmen (although clearly Daniel was the most important groomsman of the bunch). So, we caught up on her life in Philly, which seems to involve a lot of poverty and taking of buses (but when she's done with her medical residency eventually, none of that will ever be true again). Hopefully I'll see her again sometime soon, but it will clearly require me coming to NYC since she'll never come to SF again (not that she's the only person lobbying for me to move to New York...).

sssanyway, Terry and I left them around 2:15 and went to midtown, since we had tickets to see 'An Act of God'. It's a ninety-minute one-act play starring Jim Parsons (Sheldon in Big Bang Theory), in which God has taken over Jim Parsons' body and has deigned to spend ninety minutes giving us a new set of ten commandments and answering audience questions. I thought the script was super funny and clever, and Jim Parsons is a great actor - he displayed way more range than you may have thought from the play description, and I was really impressed. It was definitely a great way to spend part of an afternoon, especially since I rarely get around to doing stuff like that in SF.

After the theatre, we went to Central Park and had drinks (cocktails + more rosé) and cheese/charcuterie at Tavern on the Green. Then we came back to Terry's apartment, took a break from the heat while watching tv, and eventually (and perhaps surprisingly) rallied to have dinner at Piccolo, a cute, tiny Italian place a few blocks from Terry's building. We also discussed Rafe and Octavia's story, and I may be switching gears slightly (back to a gear I'd previously been on), but I remain ever hopeful that I'll eventually finish this fucking book.

Once we were done with dinner (and yet more wine), we came back to the apartment again and watched a couple of episodes of 'Parks and Rec' that were perhaps too on the nose for some of my recent angst, but that somehow made them even funnier to me. And now, I shall sleep and hopefully get on east coast time so that I can accomplish all the things tomorrow - I want to write, go to the gym, and have lunch with a writer friend, so we'll see if I make it. Goodnight!

No comments: