Saturday, July 04, 2015

you'll fall in love and you'll be screaming demon

I was out and about far, far later than I'm accustomed to (I know I said that last night, but tonight has last night beat). However, I drank far, far less alcohol than I usually drink in the particular crowd I was out with tonight, so maybe I'm growing up? Or maybe the desire to not be hungover so that I can write and go to the gym tomorrow overcame my usual go-with-the-flow (of alcohol) vibe.

Either way, I'm remarkably sober (if remarkably tired), so you'll prob get too much detail in this blog post and not nearly enough typos/jhokes. #sorrynotsorry

The day started off later than usual due to last night's mild debauchery, but I made it to a cafe by ten-ish, where I worked v. diligently for a couple of hours. I didn't write anything, but I took the necessary step of going back through Thorington's book to see what I'd committed myself to that might help/hinder the new plot idea I had (answer: I committed to some things I wish I hadn't, but it's not insurmountable). Then I came home, ate lunch, and then got a pedicure (perhaps not a necessity, but I'm not going to cut pedicures until I start cutting expenses (which hopefully won't have to happen...it will depend on how Rafe's book does and whether I think the market will keep growing or whether the ebook industry is going to collapse under my feet and take my dreams and finances with it) -- and even then, there are prob other things I would cut first). I did a bit of work/planning while getting the pedicure -- perhaps not enough to write it off on my taxes as a business expense, but enough to get me daydreaming about my business.

Post-pedicure, I came home, took a nap, and then walked to Philz (which was closed early, so I went back to the other Philz). I spent a couple of hours reading 'City of Laughter: Sex and Satire in Eighteenth Century Britain' -- my new idea for Rafe involves some satire stuff, so I'm doing some research to get some ideas about British satire and understand the limits of what I can do with this idea. The book is actually quite fascinating and well-written, so I'm enjoying reading it -- perhaps not so much that I would recommend it without reservation to all of you, but definitely enough that I intend to keep going over the next few days. Of course, I can't just do research -- if I do that, it's easy to spend weeks/months not writing at all. So I want to start writing (or at least outlining) tomorrow, even if the temptation of reading is strong.

However, all fun times must come to an end, so I reluctantly put the book aside and pursued my duty of attending Chandlord's pre-4th of July party. Perhaps if I'd pounded alcohol early I would have been more prepared for what was to come, but I was quite sedate -- I had a glass of wine and a glass of whisky on the rocks, which I nursed until it became more water than anything else. And I mostly spent the party catching up with Omar (who visited me in Iowa so many years ago) and Maya and Jesse (who have twins and somehow miraculously still have a social life), along with Ken (whom I saw last night; this was our third interaction ever, but I think he has a solid sense of who I am since he complimented my brazen ability to throw shade at people around me) and Hugo (who works at the same cafe I've been working at -- and by 'works' I mean he's studying for the bar while I write; we're not baristas, obvi). And Katrina was there as well, although we didn't have a lot of quality time together. At some point some random group of dudes showed up, but other than throwing shade at them (while checking them out in a desultory sort of way), I had no real interaction with any of them.

Despite the lack of interaction, our fractured groups (sans some of the people who made their blessed escape) ended up at YamaSho, which is a karaoke place with private rooms. Adit and Priyanka met us there, after attending the opera (so civilized), and Omar and I hung out with them upstairs while they ate ramen and we started trying to get through the gigantic bottle of sake that Omar ordered. Eventually, though, we descended into the bowels of hell, where there was a battle for karaoke supremacy going on between Ken and some of the random dudes from Vidya's party. This was kind of entertaining to watch, but I was far too sober for karaoke (although perhaps sober is better than exhausted, since Omar somehow fell asleep in the middle of it all). However, it was still fun to hang out, and I didn't have a mental break from the noise and run away abruptly like I did the last time I went to YamaSho, so I'd say that's progress.

Anyway, I left with Adit/Priyanka/Omar, who gave me an entirely unnecessary (but sweet) ride home to make sure I didn't get murdered; since my apartment was across the street from where they parked, it would have been far more efficient to let me walk home while they watched me get murdered from a distance, but the ride was nice anyway. And now I must sleep so that I can write/read/work out tomorrow -- goodnight!

No comments: