Friday, July 03, 2015

kiss me hard before you go

I awoke today at 5:20am from a nightmare in which I was in an interminable meeting with someone from my old job, which was just like every meeting I actually ever had with that person (interminable, and unmemorable save for the fact that every moment was excruciating even though the end result was always unworthy of mention). Luckily, the dream ended when I went back to my desk and then remembered that the intern is currently sitting in my desk, at which point I remembered that I'm free and don't have to dream about those fuckers anymore. [disclaimer if any coworkers happen to have stumbled across my blog: if you're reading this, you're (probably, maybe) not classified as 'those fuckers' in my mind].

sssanyway, I went back to sleep until seven or so, and then I showered and hied myself to my old neighborhood with the intention of having breakfast at my favorite cafe. But Tony is slacking this week and closed the restaurant so he could take a vacation. I'd already paid for parking, though, so I found another place on Union Street that served a totally delish pulled pork hash with poached eggs...so while I felt dirty for cheating on Tony, my side-piece breakfast was really awesome. And Tony never has to know, right?

Then I went to SenSpa and got a massage. This was probably unnecessary; other than tweaking my neck in my sleep on Sunday, my body has been pretty relaxed (even Alyssa has commented that my body no longer resembles that of a wizened desk troll), and the only tension the massage therapist noticed was in my forearms (prob a combo of writing all the time + doing a lot of kettlebell/grip-type stuff). But it certainly felt good to get a massage and relax for a bit.

Post massage, I showered again, ate a snack, and met up with Kathia for a couple of hours of writing. I made a lot of notes about my new ideas for Rafe and Octavia, and she and I discussed my possible new plot while wandering through the Asian Art Museum after leaving the cafe (she's a member, so we could just go in for free). I think the new plot is a winner - it doesn't have the tired cliches that I thought the old plot had, and it leaves more room for happy/jokey/entertaining scenes instead of a lot of sturm und drang. So tomorrow I need to start rewriting what I have and making progress toward a solid draft.

I got home around 5:30, and I then messed around, made some chili because it was literally the only thing I could make (I'm even out of eggs), took a nap, and fortified myself for late evening plans (and by 'late' I mean '9:30 start time', which is plenty late in my sad new book). Chandlord came by and we went to Slate, where DJ Purple was doing karaoke night. I had heard many things about DJ Purple in the past, but true to form, I'm years late to the party. We met up with a couple of Chandlord's friends, and it was all quite delightful. It probably would have been even more delightful if I'd had ten drinks instead of one (at least until I vomited up drinks six through ten), but I was relatively subdued in an effort to keep from having a productivity-destroying hangover tomorrow.

I made it until 11:05, which was five minutes later than my goal, and so I parted ways with the group and came home. And now I shall sleep, hopefully dream of Rafe and Octavia instead of my fucking coworkers, and attempt to be productive all day tomorrow before pursuing some more social activities in the evening. Goodnight!

No comments: