Wednesday, March 08, 2017

number one chick when i step out on the scene

Today was supremely boring for you - I spent most of it working, which is, I suppose, what I should be doing. I took a break in the late afternoon to go to a grocery store and buy stuff to make a salad for tonight's community dinner - and I found black beans, so I think I'll make chili at some point this weekend. Then I came back and worked for a couple more hours, and I really didn't want to take a break to go to the community dinner...but I did anyway.

I'm finding that I'm not really gelling as quickly here as I did in Bali. It's not exactly a bad thing, but it feels a little strange. I think part of it may be that I'm in hardcore finish-the-book mode right now, and as those of you who've seen me in finish-the-book mode know, I'm not always capable of verbalizing things because I'm using all my words on the page. This makes small talk with strangers really tough and unappealing. So, this is a good lesson for the future: if I can plan out my deadlines more carefully/farther in advance, I should plan for the last two weeks of a book to happen when I'm somewhere either alone, or with someone who understands my energy.

But that's not to say I'm not making friends. I had fun at the community dinner, and then a bunch of us sat around and played Cards Against Humanity (the UK version, which has different cards!). I came close to winning, but Malika came from behind at the last minute. Then I came upstairs, and now I really need to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: