Wednesday, July 31, 2019

would you choose water over wine

I'm in an airport hotel near SFO and I should have gone to bed awhile ago - but I survived an epic first day in California. I had to wake up at 3:30am MDT (2:30am PDT) to get ready and go to the airport, which made for a very rough day. I also didn't really sleep on the flight - I had work that absolutely had to get done, so I pumped myself full of iced coffee and worked most of the way.

So by the time I got to the office at nine (ten in BLD), I'd already been up for 6.5hrs, was running on four hours of sleep, and knew that I was in for a bit of a rough day. However, I survived my meetings, including an in-person chat with my VP (I had intended to update her on some projects, but she spent the first ten minutes checking in on my burnout levels, likely because she is v. well aware that I'm a flight risk given my previous history (and also that I've got a lot going on and may burn out). But she also knows that I just bought a house, which basically means that I've accepted the golden handcuffs, so she didn't seem too worried). And I v. fortuitously ran into Jane, of my friendship renewal crew - so we had lunch together out in the sunshine, which was delightful.

I eventually left and was reminded why I don't live here when it took an hour and a half to get to the city, where I had the option of getting one taco, from a food truck, for $6.50. I did not take that option. Instead, I ate the pizza Adit had procured - Adit (some people call him the cat), Priyanka, Vihaan, Kaaviya, Ritu (aka the master of disaster), Ritu's mom, Bill, Anika (aka brown bill), Claudia (aka Santy Claude, but only in December), Sam, Sam's sister, and Chandlord (aka Vidya) all met up at some brewery, where the kids v. much enjoyed running around while we attempted to catch up.

At 7:30 the children were kicked out of the brewery, so we ended up going back to Adit and Priyanka's, where we continued to hang out in a slightly less noisy environment with slightly more singing and much more negotiation over the sharing of toys. I'm happy to report that, nearly twenty years into knowing each other, Adit and I might be on the verge of becoming friends. And seeing this group is always a delight.

So, it was worth it that I flew in early...but tomorrow will be painful if I don't sleep right now. Goodnight!

No comments: