Tuesday, December 04, 2012

this is a wasteland now

Today was...odd. I was actually up and at my desk by 9:30, which is practically unheard of given my lacksadasical morning 'routine', and I made great progress with the writing for an hour or two...when suddenly I hit a wall. And by 'wall' I mean that I got interrupted by a phone call, and then I discovered that the Duchess of Cambridge is pregnant (this is major news in my industry), and then I got lost in a two-hour wormhole on Wikipedia that started by looking up what year Tipu Sultan was killed during the Fourth Anglo-Mysore War (too early for my purposes by a year or two). So I ate some lunch, but my concentration didn't really come back. I left the house around four, in hopes that a walk might help, but it only helped my closet (and harmed my bank account) since I live far too near some v. cute clothing boutiques for safety. Damn my gluttony.

So I came home, messed around with the book a bit more, ate a v. subpar supper (actually, come to think of it, it wasn't supper - it was two slices of ham and a piece of cheese, which may explain why I'm hungry now). I had promised myself a snack later, but at some point I decided that continuing to bang my head against my laptop was fruitless and bad for my eyes, and so I picked up my kindle instead. We all know how that decision turned out for me -- I read the whole book I started in one fell swoop over the last five or six hours. Bleh. But the book was great; it was the first YA book by one of my favorite adult paranormal authors (Kresley Cole), called POISON PRINCESS. Some of the pacing was a little off, since the places where there would have been sex scenes in one of her usual books were replaced with almost-kisses and considerations on whether this was the right time for the main character to lose her virginity. Since everything around them was a post-apocalyptic wasteland, I'm torn between 'when's the WRONG time?' and 'it would be beyond foolish to risk a pregnancy at this point!'. And I also thought the book took a bit too long to get rolling, with a bit too much happening before the apocalypse. But the premise is v. intriguing to me (a bunch of teenagers are all fated to play the roles of various Major Arcana cards from the tarot deck, and will end up killing each other in a battle of good vs. evil), so hopefully the next book comes out soon.

And now it's almost two a.m., and I need to get up tomorrow and write enough to not feel guilty about the fabulous dresses in my closet (and they *are* fabulous - perfect for whatever job I will end up getting to pay for them). Goodnight!

No comments: