Thursday, December 20, 2012

said i wouldn't call but i lost all control and i need you now

I just engaged in my every-three-months cleanup of my email inboxes - I realize that every three months is probably too long to go between cleanups, but my lack of a schedule or a routine means that emails that I thought I received a few days ago turn out to have been sent two months ago, which is usually pretty embarrassing. In the corporate world, if someone sends you something and they need a response, they'll just send it again - but in the private world, if someone sends you an email and you ignore it, they don't respond and just think you're being an asshole. So, for those of you whom I've been an asshole to (that's probably all of you), I'm sorry.

Anyway, the aesthetic appeal of three empty email boxes (my personal email, my professional email, and my fan email) should be enough to keep me answering my email regularly, but I'm sure I'll slip again in the future. Still, I'm glad I crossed that task off my list. The rest of the day was a wash; I woke up at noon (after apparently sleeping through a fire alarm chirping outside my room that woke up everyone else in the house at three a.m. - I guess I was tired), messed around on the interwebs, showered, and then read through all my notes on the non-gargoyle young adult project. I'm feeling very itchy and in need of some writing time, but I'm torn between playing with the gargoyles for awhile and banging out the Madeleine/Ferguson novella that I wanted to write over the holidays. Decisions, decisions. I also ate supper with the fam (roast chicken, yum) and watched just a bit of fine CBS programming before answering all my emails, so all in all it was a lovely day.

Finally, though, I'm sad to report that our blizzard wasn't a true blizzard; while [censored] had trouble getting to [censored], we didn't get enough snow to cover all the tall grass - we just got enough to blow around wildly with the gusting winds, which still caused problems. We were luckier than Des Moines, though; I guess my uncle and Drewbaby were snowed in without power at their house in the rural area north of Des Moines, and my aunt, who had stayed in Des Moines for the night so she could make it to work, was instead stranded because the place she stayed lost power and she couldn't get her car out of the garage. Oops. So while I may wish I had seen more snow, I don't actually wish for that at all. And now, I should sleep; tomorrow I must wrap many presents and cook many things in preparation for the weekend. Goodnight!

No comments: