Sunday, December 30, 2012

deserted cities of the heart

My time in Iowa is rapidly drawing to a close, alas. Sad, since I doubt I'll be back before the end of April, but in some ways probably for the best since I need to get cracking on the revisions for Nick and Ellie (aka the book that will never be done - I may be too invested in it). So today, rather than holing up in my room and writing, I hung out with the family. [censored] and I watched the final episode of the most recent mini-season of [censored], which I had avoided watching since I knew that [censored] were going to die and I wasn't prepared for either the sadness or the [censored]. But [censored] encouraged me to watch it so that we can watch the Christmas episode before we part ways, and I'm glad I finally watched it, even if it did make me cry excessively. Damned [censored].

After we were finished with that, the family sat down to play a friendly game of rail baron, which took like eight hours, as per usual. We took a break around seven to eat supper, since my mother had made buffalo wings to sustain us with (verdict: success). Then, we finished the game - I came within a turn or so of winning, but I was foiled in my attempt, and then [censored] won. This was particularly disheartening since [censored] won last time we played - spending ~16hrs over the course of three days in the last week to give [censored] reasons to gloat was probably not the best investment of my time, but I suppose it was fun. Maybe.

And now, I should sleep; I'm particularly unenthused about doing anything tomorrow, since I'm starting to run short on me-time, but I suppose I'll rally. Goodnight!

No comments: