Friday, December 28, 2012

turn the beat around

I'm swimming in ideas for how to rewrite a couple of key sequences in Nick and Ellie's book, which simultaneously makes me want to lock myself away and write until my fingers bleed and/or pull the covers up over my head and sob quietly to myself. I suspect that whatever happens will fall somewhere between those two poles. But I spent most of the afternoon/evening/night reading the first 300ish pages of the story/screenwriting book my parents gave me for Christmas, and it helped me to give a name and a description to the problems that I vaguely recognized with my current work in progress but didn't know how to solve.

Not that I'm sure I know how to solve them now, either. The biggest problem is the ending, which I think I may need to completely rewrite; the second problem is whether the stupid killer subplot (which I hate so so much) is strong enough/in the right order; the remaining problems are smaller, within certain scenes, perhaps requiring adding a bit of backstory here or cutting down some dialogue there. I would have done all of this on the next draft anyway, but now I'm itching to rewrite the end before I send it to my editor...and that means I have a lot of work to do in the next ten days or so.

But now isn't the time for work; I need to go to bed, since I have grand plans to go to [censored] with [censored], and that requires getting up before noon. Life is hard. Goodnight!

No comments: