Monday, December 17, 2012

we've been poisoned by these fairy tales

I made it to Iowa, no thanks to the eggnog still going through my veins when I woke up at three a.m. - but my hangover was mercifully mild and I don't think anyone could have guessed what I got up to last night, since I woke up in time to shower, dry my hair, put on makeup, and dress v. cutely for my trip. The flights were all perfectly on time, although I was forced to sit with the peasants from SFO to Denver - specifically, two of the dumbest people I've had the misfortune to listen to in recent memory, who had a toddler sprawled across their laps. I shan't recount all of their tales of stupid woe to you, since it will just make my blood boil, but suffice it to say that they asked the flight attendant if he was going to give them an infant life vest like the people on the last flight did (apparently from Hawaii to SFO). He said no because we're not flying over water from SFO to Denver - but when we took off, the woman was like, "omg, we're flying over water!", because the runways extend out into the bay. Of course, we were away from water in like thirty seconds, but she couldn't see that because of the fog, and so then they speculated for a couple of minutes about how stupid the flight attendant was for not knowing which direction we were flying in. Um. Thank god for earplugs, is all I'm saying.

sssanyway, my second flight was much better, and my parents picked me up on time and took me to a steakhouse for lunch. I had warned them that I would be surly and hungover, but I was surprisingly chipper - I think I'm so exhausted from the past ten days that I am past my surliness, which is a rare state for me. So we all had steak, then stopped at Walmart (hiss) and Hy-Vee (yay for an expanded gluten free section!) before coming home. And then I stayed up until now, which is really quite shocking; I thought I would fall asleep hours ago, but I hit a second wind around seven p.m. California time, as I always do. I think perhaps I'm diurnal...I do get some stuff done in the morning, and I thrive at night, but afternoons are the devil.

And now, I should sleep, or at least try to; [censored] arrived from [censored], which is part of why I'm still awake, since we exchanged insults and generally [censored] for longer than I intended. And so, goodnight - more Iowa fun awaits!

No comments: