Saturday, December 15, 2012

hey there delilah

Today was a little bizarre...the school shooting in Connecticut was obviously awful, and I have no words to describe it, but I also was too mentally exhausted to handle watching hours of coverage about it, so I tried to take care of other stuff on my list instead. I didn't sleep all that well last night, likely because I was in a strange bed and my back is still hurting, but I spent a couple of quality hours hanging out, drinking tea, and checking email before driving to Mountain View to have a v. quick lunch with the big boss. She's just as busy as she ever was, it seems, and it had taken a couple of months to get time on her calendar - so even though we only had half an hour to catch up, I was still glad to see her and reconnect (that sounds so business-y - we basically just talked about my books/career and her career/life, which wasn't nearly as business-y as it sounds).

Post-big boss, I went to Michael's (the craft store) to get some Christmas crafty stuff. Yes, I've gone over the deep end. But it was all already discounted, and there wasn't much on my list - fake snow was the key ingredient, and I got some absurdly glittery fake flowers, which I did something legitimately cool with despite what they sound like. Then I drove home, with a stop at Lowe's to return a plastic christmas tree stand and buy new lightbulbs for the entry light fixture, and some absurd city traffic that was already springing up at 2:45pm. Then I talked to my parents for quite some time to catch them up on my life and hear all about the many and varied things they've been up to.

And then, I drank half a bottle of wine and decorated like I'm a crazy woman, which is probably true since I chose to hang out drinking wine and decorating rather than going with Terry to her holiday party. It's not like I bailed on her, since I'd refused the invitation when it was extended due to the fact that I knew finishing my book was going to wipe me out. But she seemed to enjoy drinking and watching me decorate before she went to her party. I put up garland and lights over the fireplace, I fixed the rocking chair (not broken, but the felt on the bottom of one of the rockers was hanging off), replaced lightbulbs, and made a glittery floral arrangement and a bunch of little terrarium type things with fake snow and glitter flowers. I realize as I type that that those decorations sound truly hideous, but I promise they're pretty cool - perhaps I'll take pictures to demonstrate. But for now, I really need to go to bed; I have grand plans to grocery shop, alcohol shop, make cookies, and pack for Iowa tomorrow, and since I've barely slept this week, my bed seems mighty appealing. Goodnight!

No comments: