Thursday, January 17, 2008

shiny happy people

I can't believe how happy I am - well, perhaps not at this particular moment, since I worked for the past 3 hours, but I had a really great day, even if it did start with a meeting at 7:30am. The meeting went well, I managed to finish a presentation on time, I kept my mouth shut during a frustrating meeting since I'm not going to be around anyway, and then had an extended lunch with my good friend Alaska Matt. He was looking like a charming cross between a mountain man and a captain of industry - he's rocking a particularly full beard, which I admire to no end. I'm going to miss those lunches - they're definitely one of the highlights of my work life.

After lunch, I presented to the directors (nothing new), chatted with Laura, spent some time on some projects, talked to Lauren (on her way back to Boston tonight), caught up with Gyre over the phone, and wrapped up around seven. Then, I met Sarah and Shawn for a delicious dinner at Straits Cafe - I hadn't been there in nearly half a decade, but it's still quite delectable. Sarah and I are good friends, and have been since our days in the temp program oh so many years ago; I don't know Shawn so well, but it was great to hang out with her as well. She's apparently writing a dissertation on the Soviet Intourist program, which is v. intriguing to me.

It was great to catch up with Sarah. Also, we're rooming together on the trip to Disneyland (with my other friend Subz) - and if you remember the last time I roomed with Sarah, I ended up completely drunk, sitting on the floor of the kitchen in our suite writing the most ridiculous blog post I've ever constructed (see the post titled 'hooray!'). This year promises to be a riot - my last day of work is February 1, and sometime that weekend I'm driving down to Anaheim, where I will party like a rockstar on Monday and Tuesday night. Then, I'm driving to San Diego on Wednesday to see Tammy, where I will undoubtedly have a good time in a potentially unwholesome way, before coming back up the following weekend to attend a going-away party thrown in my honor by Heather, Salim, and the rest of the expats. If my liver survives that week, I'll settle down and start packing up my apartment; if not, I'm going to have to hope that my insurance is still valid!

Okay, I should go to bed - tomorrow promises to be busy, but I really can't complain when I only have eleven days left in the office! Goodnight!

2 comments:

Matthew Lewis said...

Sniff.

Anonymous said...

I read somewhere if you start to vomit a small amount of blood while drinking or after drinking you have the start of alcohol posioning. I guess if people don't want to know that they have to start of it they all need to drink red drinks. (lol)