Thursday, January 31, 2008

too legit to quit















My photo for today: the flipflops that I wore four years ago to my final job interview with the department director. These were the only shoes I could find in time for the interviews, which were scheduled v. last minute. I was sure they would destroy my chances - and yet four years later, that director is now a VP, and telling me that I need to use 'too legit to quit' (an MC Hammer song) as my status message on instant messenger. Awesome!

-------------------------------------
My entry for today: My second-to-last day at work was intense, and I don't think that I'm going to fully absorb the fact that I'm leaving for a couple of weeks at least. I had a variety of meetings, had a great lunch with Dan and a chat with Jen, and ended the day with dinner with Terry. In between, I had several really interesting and engaging conversations about various problems I've been working on, and realizing repeatedly that I'm still interested in the issues facing the business.

As I told Terry, it's not even that I wish I could have it both ways - I really wish I could clone myself and simultaneously live two completely different lives. One life is following the solitary writing path, churning out novels and exploring the interesting inner depths of myself (or, spelunking my soul, if you will). The other life is following the glittering, challenge-strewn path of corporate America. I know it's theoretically possible to achieve a nice balance between the two - but I'm so all-or-nothing that I don't see how I could sacrifice tremendous accomplishments in either area in order to have a balanced mix of both. So, while I'm on leave, I want to figure out which of those paths to pursue for the next 2-5 years, which might be more satisfying in the long term, or if it's possible for me to do something a bit more balanced and healthy than becoming either a hermit or a Harvard Business School grad.

Anyway, none of these things are going to sort themselves out tonight - and it's quite possible that it will take some time for them to get reconciled, considering how many plans I have for the first month of leave. I'm going to Disneyland, then San Diego, then I have a week to do stuff around the apartment and see friends - and I just confirmed tonight that Katie is coming to visit!!! Yay!!! She'll be here February 18-22, so we'll have a smashing time. After that, it's just another week until I have to move out of my apartment and start the trek back to ye olde Iowa.

Okay, that's enough for now. I have some stuff I have to do tonight, so I should stop blogging and get to work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You still have tiny feet!! However, you better trade in the flipflops for warm foot wear, since you are coming back to Iowa and it wont be warm until June!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to miss those little toes ...