Sunday, January 27, 2008

i only need the compass that you gave me to guide me on

Today was another great day, despite the rain. I awoke by nine a.m., showered, and drove up to the evil city to have brunch with Heather and Salim. We stood in line for well over an hour at the cafe that they like down the street from their apartment - the place is quite popular, and because of the rain they had closed their back patio, effectively cutting their capacity in half. Luckily it was merely drizzling while we waited outside under the overhang, rather than raining copiously as it started to do after we were seated. It was actually almost nice that we waited that long - it extended the amount of time that we spent talking, since brunch turned into an almost three-hour experience, rather than being the standard hour and fifteen minutes. Also, the food was well worth the wait - I had a variation on eggs benedict, involving bacon, white cheddar cheese, salsa fresca, and a poached egg on an english muffin with hollandaise sauce. They also make these amazing fried potatoes with whole cloves of garlic, which you can split open and spread on your potatoes or eggs...mmmmmm.

After brunch, we did a bit of desultory shopping, and I picked up a candle and a new purse. I refrained from buying my favorite hair product (Bedhead's Shine Junkie - I find it alluring because it promises to help me 'outshine everyone!'), because I rarely do anything with my hair as it is, and six months in Iowa is unlikely to warrant a lot of fancy hair techniques. In fact, today's hair technique involved twisting it up and holding it in place with a clampy-comb-thingie (the fact that I don't know its name is an indication of how fashion-dense I am) - and since my hair was wet when I did this, my hair is still wet twelve hours later. I find this fascinating!

Anyway, I love Heather and Salim, and it was great to see them - as much as I hate the evil city, I'm going to miss having brunch with them. I hung out at their place for awhile and watched a comedian's routine that they had taped from Comedy Central, before finally making my way south around 4pm. I talked to my parents on the way down here, which was nice - and I'm again reminded of how happy I am to be taking leave, given that I didn't have anything to complain about when I talked to them!

I also went to Borders tonight, where I got two romance novels, as well as a copy of this month's 'Romantic Times'. It's a magazine which reviews the romance novels that are coming out in a given month, in addition to interviewing authors and sponsoring contests and things. I'm pleased to see there are still a lot of Regencies on the market, but the hot genre right now is paranormal - I knew this already, and shall persevere with my intended plot, since I don't think Amelia's personality would be improved by an encounter with a werewolf.

Okay, friends, it's time for me to go to bed - I only have five days left at work!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sammi who is very fashion concious says those "clampy-comb-thingies" are called "clips". Also she says "Thanks Aunt Sara for the shout out." Plus she is very sorry she missed you phone calls and wonders if you dont have her phone number. We will be home tonight if you want to give her a ring.