Sunday, January 06, 2008

once upon a time in palo alto

The weekend ended somewhere in between a bang and a whimper. I managed to oversleep this morning because I forgot to set my alarm, and so was forty-five minutes late to a 12pm brunch with Julie and Vidya. However, just as I arrived at Vidya's apartment, Julie called to say that her boyfriend had planned an activity for their one-year anniversary (without checking beforehand to see if she had plans), and so she would not be able to make it. This absolved me of any guilt for being late, and maintained our streak of not having brunch since sometime in July, much to our mutual chagrin.

Instead, I had a lovely brunch with Vidius Chandicus. She tried to take me to one cafe, which was closed due to a water heater problem, and so we backtracked to the restaurant she had initially debated going to. It turned out to be a diamond in the rough, if you will; it is run by a v. elderly asian couple, but is decorated in a pseudo-French style and serves American fare with the occasionally smattering of Korean shortribs. The hashbrowns were perfect, and they served a surprisingly delicious ham with my eggs over easy, so I was quite pleased - it appears there is a reason to go to that godforsaken city after all! Oh, and seeing Vidya was good too. After brunch (at 2pm), we went back to her apartment and hung out for a couple of hours, discussing our general malaise over the fact that we are at a crossroads (in the 'uncertain crossing of divergent life paths' sense, not in the 'seminal musical work by Bon Jovi' sense).

After spending some quality time with Vidya, I came home, cleaned my kitchen, and talked to my parents. I've spent the rest of the evening surfing the web, doing some stuff for work, and talking to Vidya, Oniel, and Claude online. The first couple of days at work this week look intense, particularly since I have meetings at 7:30am on Tuesday and Wednesday both - but the meetings are mostly ones where I'm either passing on information or passively sitting, so it should be fine. I should go to bed though - and it sounds like it's started raining again, so that should soothe me into slumber. Goodnight!

No comments: