Wednesday, September 01, 2010

who rides the wrecking ball into our guitars?

I need to go to bed immediately; I have to be at work at 8am tomorrow for the second day of the big boss's three-day staff offsite, and since the big boss's boss (who is, therefore, an exponentially bigger boss) is attending for an hour, I need to go to the trouble of drying my hair and dressing properly so that I don't call undue, unwelcome attention to myself. Today was the first day of the offsite, and it was generally good. We did this all-day training on leadership that said that one of our main objectives is to 'stay alive', which I actually didn't take too fondly to since I'm a big fan of dramatic gestures that risk ending in martyrdom. Obviously there are other objectives too, but I struggled with that particular one. But, despite the occasional annoying moments, I enjoyed watching some of my fellow participants get riled up, and I had a nice lunch with Alan (my former boss) and two of the guys from the Europe organization.

After work, I swung by Anthropologie to see if I could find something that would go with those ridiculous 5" heels that I bought in LA. I don't know if I succeeded -- I'll have to try the whole outfit on to determine my success level -- but it's clear that my taste is on a drastic, precipitous decline into extreme eccentricity. I bought one skirt that is relatively normal (grey wool with a lovely cream lace trim on the bottom) -- but the other skirt that I bought may be an abomination. Specifically, it's wool, but it is entirely comprised of brown, aqua, and orange stripes. I thought that the bangs would be the last stop on the train to weirdoville, but clearly they have just encouraged me to venture even farther down that path. And, my friends, I must say that I love it. I may not be able to go home for Christmas without digging some of the less eccentric items out of the back of my closet, since my brother called my style "hobbit Western" last Christmas, and I shudder to think what he would call this, but I'm super psyched for the fashion disaster that my autumn is shaping up to be.

Once I had done my damage at Anthropologie, I came home, ate supper, and consciously decided to not even make an attempt at writing. I had a very bizarre, almost scary dream as I was waking up this morning, which involved an airplane crash, an alliance with some sort of magical family (one of whom seemed to be my fiance), and an attempt to escape to a boat at the end of a dock lined with evil, ice-cold witches who all seemed to be wearing stripes. One of the witches bit off my fingers, which is approximately when my alarm went off -- but in the interest of relaxing and not stressing myself out to the point that I lose more appendages in my sleep, I decided to read a book tonight instead. The book in question was Gail Carriger's BLAMELESS, which I've been waiting for with wild anticipation since reading CHANGELESS in London in May and experiencing one of the most awful cliffhanger endings in recent memory. This one thankfully did not end of a cliffhanger (yes, I read it all), but it was quite good and has me eager for the next book (HEARTLESS) coming out next year.

And now, I should sleep -- the big boss and her even bigger boss await. It's going to be a long day tomorrow, since I have the offsite from 8-6, a going-away party for a couple of directors from 6-7:30, and then dinner and bocce with the offsite attendees until 10pm. Ugh. I mean, yay. Whatever. Goodnight!

Daily word count: 0 (0% of goal)
Productive time: --
RescueTime productivity rating: -- (global average: 0.34)

No comments: