Monday, September 06, 2010

who do you love

I was going great guns on working on zee romance novel until about five minutes ago, when I suddenly started to fall asleep on the couch. I didn't actually do any official writing today (as in, words that are part of the manuscript itself), but I'm working on writing a very detailed synopsis of everything that happens because I'm in one of those modes where I have to climb to the tallest tree in this dense, fucked-up forest and try to figure out where the path is, what it's leading to, and whether I want to go to that destination (since it currently could be leading to a big stake-lined pit, rather than anything desirable). I'll get back to writing tomorrow, though; I have no plans other than to write 9000 words (stretch goal, obviously) and do a ton of laundry, so I'll have to get going early tomorrow.

Today was nice, despite the lack of forward progress. Terry and I were enjoying a leisurely morning of coffee (for her) and tea (for me) when Chandlord called and said that she was fifteen minutes away and would come over if I would have her. I happily acquiesced, and so Vidya came over and spent a quality hour with us; it felt v. neighborly to have someone drop by for coffee, in a v. old-fashioned way, even though Chandlord lives almost an hour away from me. Then, Chandlord and Terry both left (Chandlord to go to yet another wedding, since that seems to be the extent of her social plans, and Terry to go to the gym), and so I showered and straightened up around the house. I later met Terry, her brother Tom, her friend Heather, and our friend Natasha at California Pizza Kitchen, where we had a great time until it suddenly became clear that Terry was running very late for her flight.

But as it turned out, security was only four minutes for her, and so she made it to the plane with plenty of time. After I dropped her off at the airport, I picked up a few groceries, came home, talked to my parents (who seemed to be in fine form), and then organized my toiletries/linen closet. If that's not a sign of procrastinating from my writing, I don't know what is. However, I felt justified; because it's always disorganized, the clutter is taking up valuable shelf space that I can use for towels. More importantly, because I have so much stuff, I never know what I have and what I might need more of -- which is how I have four things of deodorant, five or six tubes of sunscreen, a whole bunch of travel-sized shampoos, etc., etc. Even worse, I have a whole ton of eyeshadows, lipsticks, glosses, etc., that I need to get under control -- and knowing what's in there will help me to hopefully just swap back to something I already had when I feel like a change, rather than going out and buying yet another variation on pinks, purples and browns. So in a true sign of completely obsessive behavior, I made a spreadsheet of everything I have; we'll see if it actually changes anything, but at least the closet is clean now.

By the time I was done with that, it was close to eight o'clock, so I made myself some danged quesadillas, and then sat down to contemplate Madeleine and Ferguson. And now, I'm going to sleep on the synopsis and hope that I wake up tomorrow morning miraculously knowing how to end this book. Goodnight!

Daily word count: 0 (0% of goal - but this doesn't count the work I did on the synopsis)
Productive time: 3.5hrs
RescueTime productivity rating: 0.26 (global average: 0.28)

No comments: