Tuesday, September 07, 2010

please don't say we'll never find a way and tell me all my love's in vain

So, I completely failed in my goal to write 12000 words this weekend. But, today I did write another 3500 words on my long synopsis and 1000 words on the manuscript itself. And, more importantly, I think I figured out the ending! So, the synopsis was worth doing, since I have a clearer sense of where I'm going. Of course, in the process of that, I decided to change the point where Ferguson discovers Madeleine's secret acting career by about two hundred pages (from the third chapter to the midpoint climax), so if I stick with that decision, I'm going to have to do some rewriting of the first half (again). This is why it's a good idea to just pretend that the first half is done, write the second half, and then go back and fix the first half once and for all, since I can't just keep rewriting it every time something changes. I just have to hope that I can suture all the pieces back together at the end without creating some Frankenstein's monster of random bits and characters.

In addition to the v. satisfying moment of getting a glimpse of the end (hint: it involves kidnapping, my favorite!), I also did four loads of laundry, cleaned up the living room, and made mac and cheese for lunch and chicken quesadillas for dinner. I also got out of the house for a bit and went to Starbucks. And, in the brightest/most disgusting moment of the day, I finally found success in my surgical endeavors and removed the splinter that has been hanging out in my foot for a week. Some days it was totally unnoticeable, other days it hurt -- and this afternoon, it was back to the point where I couldn't step on that side of my foot without sending burning pain coursing through my veins. So I got out the safety pin, the tweezers, the rubbing alcohol, and the flashlight, and went to work. Several minutes later, I was successful: I extracted a quarter-inch-long piece of hair from the deep interior of my foot. I had suspected that it was a hair splinter and not a regular splinter, but I can't say that I was particularly thrilled to be proven right in this instance.

And now, after having shared too much, I should really go to bed (on my fresh, clean sheets with a fresh, clean duvet cover on my comforter, even if it's eighty degrees and I really don't need the thing). Goodnight!

Daily word count: 787 (39.35% of goal - but this doesn't count the work I did on the synopsis)
Productive time: 5hrs
RescueTime productivity rating: 0.56 (global average: 0.63)

No comments: