Monday, September 13, 2010

you have to cut until it hurts

I should have written a lot more today than I did, but I salvaged the evening and managed to hit my word goal despite wasting a lot of daylight hours. Not that writing while it is light out is required; if I had my way and the rest of the world cooperated, I would probably be almost nocturnal. If I ever become a vampire, I would miss the days when I could go outside without the sun setting me on fire, but my new night-centered life would certainly fit better with my natural circadian rhythms (also, what mead were the monks drinking when they decided how to spell 'rhythm'?)

Anyway, I slept until almost eleven, and then I spent an hour and a half washing dishes and scouring my kitchen (particularly my stovetop, which suffered from several spillovers on Friday and was in desperate need of a chemical bath). I had a fantastic lunch consisting of leftover Greek lasagna; John had sent me an email yesterday saying it was even better the next day, and he was absolutely right. I could eat that stuff all week, but between lunch and dinner today I polished off enough to leave only one serving for tomorrow night. Then, I played around on the internet, since I really hadn't spent any time on it in the past two days, and was just getting ready to settle in and write when my grandmother called. She had tried calling yesterday, but I was either in meetings, driving, napping, or hanging out with Vidya all day, and so I didn't talk to her. She also tried to call around 8am, but I v. smartly turned my ringer off before going to bed, since I anticipated that at least one person would try to call while I slept off my birthday. So, I talked to her for a few minutes, which kind of depressed me, and so I abandoned the writing and called my parents for our usual Sunday conversation, which ended up lasting for almost two hours. By that point, it was 6pm, so I ate some more pasta, took a nap, and finally roused myself to go to Starbucks around seven.

Surprisingly, I managed to stay there for almost four hours, and I accomplished a lot. I started to panic as I thought of everything that I need to do with this story, and so I decided to go back to the beginning and rewrite -- I had decided last week that I would just pretend that the first half was done and write the second half and then make it all fit together later, but I think that's too much of a risk. It feels like building a house on top of a bunch of balsawood stilts with the intention of filling in the foundation later, and while I'm no engineer, that doesn't sound like a good idea.

So I rewrote most of sequence one; the rewrites are reasonable but still somewhat substantial, since I have to add in the twins, subtract the brother, and change the point at which Ferguson realizes that Madeleine is the actress. But, the big boss is gone this week, and so if I put in some quality slogging time tomorrow and perhaps Tuesday to prep for some stuff coming after she gets back, I should have a light week that enables me to make major progress on the book. That's the plan, anyway; what will really happen remains to be seen.

Now, though, I need to go to bed; I have to be at the office for a nine a.m. meeting, and since I want to wash and blowdry my hair tomorrow morning, I should probably attempt to overcome the grande latte I just finished and go to sleep. Goodnight!

Daily word count: 2374 (118.7% of goal)
Productive time: 4hrs
RescueTime productivity rating: 0.59 (global average: 0.34)

No comments: