Thursday, September 09, 2010

someone's gonna tell you lies, cut you down to size

Today was a brutal, endless slog at work, hampered by the fact that I was crankier than I've been in recent memory (with the possible exception of how cranky I was yesterday). It probably didn't help that my boss was fasting for a Ramadan/diversity awareness event, and by the time we met at 3pm, she was starving and cranky and I was over-caffeinated and cranky, so it was all pretty much a wash. I eventually had to put my headphones in and crank up the volume just so I wouldn't hear anybody else; the new building I moved into is lovely, but the concrete floors, while stylish, are hellish from an acoustic standpoint since there are too many people running around in heels. I somehow need to figure out how to stop being cranky, since it's neither useful nor attractive -- hopefully I can get myself back in check tomorrow. If nothing else, I'm spending the morning in my (carpeted) old building and then having lunch with Gyre, so I have high hopes that I'll revert to some semblance of good cheer.

After slogging basically nonstop from 8am to 6:45pm (with a quick break to eat a baked potato), I left the office and went to Cafe Borrone, where I forced myself to work on zee romance novel for a couple of hours while enjoying a sandwich and an overpriced glass of wine. I spent some quality time moving scenes around and fleshing out which scenes need to be built, and then I made myself just sit there and write, netting exactly 1000 words before deciding to come home. By the time I got here and took out the trash for tomorrow's pickup, I was desperately in need of a break -- so I watched tonight's "Top Chef" without even turning on my laptop. Since all I used my laptop for today was writing, I've netted the best productivity rating I've ever had -- let's see if I can keep it up.

Now, though, I should go to bed; getting sleep would probably help me be less cranky, but since I have an 8am meeting, I need to go to sleep asap. Goodnight!

Daily word count: 1000 (50.0% of goal)
Productive time: 1.25hrs
RescueTime productivity rating: 1.99 (global average: 0.89)

No comments: