Tuesday, December 06, 2011

all the good girls are home with broken hearts

I should have gone to bed as soon as I got home -- since I got home at 12:30, that wouldn't have been an early bedtime by any means. I went down to Palo Alto today, and while I wasn't particularly productive in the early afternoon, I managed to kick it into high gear and write seventeen pages before abandoning the library around 11:30pm.

While I feel good about what I've written and the changes I've made, I am also verging on panic over how much I have left to do. The problem is that the rewrite that started as a minor attempt to fix plot and continuity issues turned into a major rewrite to fix pacing and development issues, which turned into a wholesale rewrite of every scene, scrapping at least half of them entirely. For instance, I rewrote the wedding scene today -- and really, all I kept was the location, what Amelia was wearing, and a few snippets of dialogue over the course of ten pages. It's no wonder this book is killing me. But, I suppose the good news is that if I pull this off, I've proven to myself that I can write a book in approximately two months -- which isn't entirely accurate, since the hardest bits around getting to know the characters and exploring a variety of options with the plot/structure was already done, but it makes writing a book every 3-4 months seem more realistic than it used to.

Now, though, I really must sleep -- I need to repeat (or double, or triple) this feat tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: