Saturday, December 24, 2011

the pandorica opens

I didn't even attempt to work today. Instead, I woke up at eleven, took a shower, ate some chili, and spent the rest of the day [censored] nine [censored] with [censored]. We took a break around 4pm so that I could run into town and buy a last-minute gift for a family member; I also bought a bottle of Templeton Rye, since the liquor store in town happened to have a batch and it's an approved hipster liquor for the making of fancy cocktails when I get back to San Francisco. Then I came home, [censored] two [censored], and took a break for supper.

My mom has been trying quite hard to translate our old favorites into gluten-free delights, and she scored big on two levels today. The first was a peanut butter cookie sans flour (which annoyed [censored], since she called downstairs to tell us that she had made me cookies, which he thought wasn't inclusive enough). The second was a tenderloin, which in Iowa vernacular is a piece of pork pounded/flattened, dipped in egg and crushed saltines, and fried. I can't eat the saltines, but she tried crushed corn chex for me, and it was splendid. Granted, I couldn't eat the bun, which was unfortunate, but the tenderloin was delightful.

After supper, I wrapped a couple of gifts, then [censored] three [censored] before [censored]'s bedtime. And now I should really go to sleep myself -- we're doing Christmas with my sister tomorrow (I suppose it is Christmas Eve, which feels odd), and then I have to wrap the rest of my parents' presents and let visions of sugarplums dance through my head. Goodnight!

No comments: