Thursday, December 29, 2011

i feel my heart start beating to my favorite song

It's my last night in Iowa for the immediate future; I leave for San Francisco tomorrow, and while my vacation should be over as soon as I get on the plane, I anticipate that I'll have some socializing over the next few days to reconnect to all the people I've barely seen since before Thanksgiving. Today was all about getting ready to go, though. I woke up late, showered, went upstairs, did the dishes (which likely surprised my mother, since she does the dishes herself all the time), and then used one of the skillets (my ulterior motive for doing the dishes) to makes myself some utterly awesome scrambled eggs with leftover ham, green peppers, onions, and black olives.

Thus sustained, I spent a couple of hours packing everything up. This took longer than my last packing job, since I won't be back for awhile and so needed to make sure I got everything that needed to be brought back to California. Once I was finished packing, I strolled outside and took some pictures of my father's miniature cows (which may not look small to you city slickers, but are definitely smaller than average). Then I spent the rest of the afternoon/evening writing Christmas cards, since I didn't want to have to pack the cards and take them back to California. I didn't write as many as I did last year, so apologies if you fell off the list -- you'll be back on the list next year, but I ran out of time and stamina to keep going.

Somewhere in there, I took a break for supper. My mother made ham and bean soup, which [censored] hates, but I was quite happy with it. I also watched some "Criminal Minds" and "CSI" while writing cards, which was both distracting and upsetting (I don't love "Criminal Minds", since it gets dark real fast). And yes, I know this post is boring as hell, but when you spend the whole day packing and writing Christmas cards, there just isn't much to say.

And now I suppose I should go to bed. I had a wonderful Christmas, and a wonderful Thanksgiving before that, but it's time to buckle down -- my first book comes out on Barnes and Noble's Nook in less than four weeks, and I have a million things to do before then! Goodnight!

No comments: