Saturday, December 03, 2011

once i rose above the noise and confusion just to get a glimpse beyond this illusion

Hello, weekend. You feel remarkably similar to all my other days, except Terry is home, which hasn't been true for awhile. And while other people use you to get in the holiday spirit, attend parties, connect with loved ones, and eat copious amounts of gluten, I shall do none of those things, because SCOTSMEN has me by the throat and I'm going to die if I don't finish it. [well, perhaps I will go to a party, but don't tell SCOTSMEN]

I was moderately productive today, but it wasn't enough. I drove down to the glorious south bay to train with Alyssa, who forgave me for not walking a lot while I was at home when I told her about my walk in the 37-degree weather over gravel and past aggressive dogs to a cemetery that was preferable to the route that would have taken me over a dirt road past a rumored bobcat dwelling. She was in good form and I got through my entire planned workout despite being dehydrated and tight, so success! After I showered, I ate a salad at the gym cafe, and then made a snap decision to go to Stanford library and work rather than coming home. This was a difficult decision because I tend to get a lot done at the library, but going on a Friday afternoon means committing until evening, since I wouldn't want to deal with Friday traffic anytime after two or three p.m.

Thus committed, I went to the library, read an article on Martin Scorsese and the creative life, felt v. inspired, and realized that writing is the only thing in my life that I wouldn't want to retire from; I could see myself writing until my death, no matter how much money I make or how comfortable I am. Thus inspired, I promptly squandered my inspiration and only wrote six pages. Bleh. I left around six in search of food, but nothing on campus met the appropriate combo of gluten-free and tasty, so I left campus and intended to go to Chipotle. However, Chipotle's line was out the door, so I went in search of the even tastier fare at Palo Alto Sol. There, I had some delicious enchiladas (with corn tortillas, yay gluten free) and a tasty margarita while writing another page or so, and then repaired to the Starbucks across the street to write for another half an hour until they closed. I finally felt confident enough to brave the traffic, which was only bad for a few miles around the airport, and made it home around nine.

I intended to write some more, but my new Nook showed up on my doorstep this afternoon, and I wanted to play with it. Unfortunately, it appears to be defective, which is super annoying; the bottom half of the screen is black and remains black no matter what I do. I even went through the painstaking guess and check process of registering the device (using the keyboard that was present beneath the blackness - good thing I know my keyboards so well that I could figure out how to enter my info), then figuring out how to reset the device (also on a menu that was blacked out), but to no avail. Sadness. It makes me want to get a Kobo instead, but we'll see whether B&N will replace it when I call them tomorrow.

Terry got home sometime around 10:30 or 11, so we chatted for awhile, and then she went to bed and I played with my Nook some more. And now I must sleep too; Malcolm and Amelia await me in the morning, likely with cudgels and maces and flails and other medieval weapons that have no place in their story, but since they won't freaking do what they're told, it wouldn't surprise me if they suddenly switched time periods. Goodnight!

No comments: