Wednesday, December 28, 2011

ambush from ten sides

Today was mostly a wash; I hate to say that about visiting family, but let's face it...five hours in a truck to spend an hour an a half eating subpar Mexican food in Missouri is not my idea of a great time, particularly since I need to write a book (remember that book I'm trying to finish?). I woke up a little after eight, showered, made myself pretty (but not too pretty, in case any Missourians were looking for brides), brewed some coffee, blended a smoothie, and was ready to go when we finally rolled out the door around 9:30. We were twenty minutes late to our rendezvous with my mom's sister in Moberly, Missouri, but since she was forty minutes late, I suppose we were early?

When she came, it turns out that two of our three cousins had bailed, which neither [censored] nor I realized was an option. However, it was nice to see my aunt and my other cousin, even if it was a very short visit. When we were done, we turned around and came home, and I slept most of the way back, so I have nothing of interest to report from that part of the journey. When we got home, I went with [censored] to [censored] to feed some [censored]. Then, we went to [censored], where he showed me the progress he's made on [censored], with a warning not to [censored] because there might be [censored]. We took the new truck that my dad's business bought last week, which doesn't have running boards installed yet, so getting into it was possibly the most challenging thing I've done in weeks.

After finishing that errand, we came home and I messed around on the internet until suppertime; we have a veritable cornucopia of leftovers, and while leftovers usually aren't the best meal of the week, this ranked right up there -- leftover prime rib, sweet potatoes, baked beans, and five cup salad, plus new boiled/fried potatoes, made for a v. tasty supper. Then, I watched a bit of "NCIS", followed by the Kennedy Center Honors, which is one of my favorite things to watch over the holidays (ranking above even my joy at seeing stupid people stab each other over cheap toys at Walmart). Post-television, I spent several hours catching up on email and other minor online tasks, since I hate email and have been avoiding it for the past two weeks. The time has come to stop avoiding, though; vacation is almost over, and I need to focus if 2012 is a year that will make me proud before our dread Mayan overlord descends from the sky and incinerates us all. Goodnight!

No comments: