Thursday, December 08, 2011

the bad boys are standing in the shadows

I don't really want to talk about today. My panic and despair over the book are about to consume me, and so I spent the day avoiding the panic and despair by avoiding most conscious thought -- sounds like a good plan, right? I think I needed a break so that I can hit it hard tomorrow, so I'm not beating myself up over today, but I need to get in gear tomorrow, lest I end up needing to beat myself up in my next blog post.

I did a bit of work this morning/afternoon, but I had to stop around 1:45 and go downtown to the mall. Yes, I had to. I had made an appointment at the spa to use my monthly credit on a facial, and I couldn't reschedule it because there are v. few days of the month left in which I will be here, so it had to be done. I went slightly early and returned a pair of shoes to Bloomingdales, then chatted with John for a few minutes (since our ye olde blood of Lincoln dinners are a bygone memory now that I've moved to the evil city) before going into the spa. My facial was good, but at the end of it, I actually succeeded in canceling my membership. Or I think I succeeded -- while the spa is awesome, half their yelp reviews are one-star reviews over how difficult it was to cancel, so we'll see whether I was successful when I check my credit card early next month. Since I've been saying for a year that I was going to cancel, and then getting seduced into staying, I was quite proud of my fortitude. I promptly squandered my fortitude by buying a pair of boots at Nordstrom, but they were less than the shoes I'd just returned, so in my head, all the math today worked out in my favor.

When I got home, Terry was here, and we watched this week's "How I Met Your Mother" (devastating) and some YouTube before I came upstairs and worked. The manuscript wasn't going well at all, though, and I ended up pulling out my Nintendo DS, which I rarely play, just to shut down my mind for a bit. It worked, but now I must go to sleep so that I can get up tomorrow and try, try again. Goodnight!

No comments: