Tuesday, April 03, 2012

i guess you better go and get your armor

I'm in a better mood than I was yesterday; sorry (not sorry) for the bleak and melodramatic post. I didn't sleep well at all last night, unfortunately, and what sleep I did get was fitful, but I dragged myself out of bed at ten a.m. and spent the morning/early afternoon compiling the necessary edits for SCOTSMEN so that I could send them to my agent and the ebook formatter. Once that task was done, I felt much better about myself, and the belated shower that I took made me feel even more human.

At that point, though, I wanted to take a break, and even though I knew it was silly, I drove to the south bay to return my Stanford library books. I'd forgotten to take them back when I was down there last week, and they're due before I get back from Denver, so I had to do it sometime, and today was the best day, I suppose, since I didn't really want to think about anything. So I drove to Stanford, checked my mailbox in Palo Alto, dropped off the books, got a tiger spice chai at Coupa outside the library, and drove home. I also talked to Katie about my impending visit to her fair city; her plans for me sound more like Stephen King's "Misery" than anything particularly appealing, but at least I know she wants me to keep the blog going, so even if she does kidnap me and lock me in her basement, at least you'll hear from me about it, right?

When I got home, I messed around on the internet, took a nap, and then met up with some former coworkers (and former direct reports) at a wine bar on Fillmore. It was lovely to see them all; they'd come to my Authors@Google talk a couple of weeks ago and we'd decided to get together more informally and catch up, which was v. nice. Then I came home, curled up on the couch, and read one of my favorite comfort reads (Robin McKinley's THE BLUE SWORD), which never fails to make me feel better.

And so now, properly restored, I need to go to bed; hopefully by tomorrow the last remnants of surliness will disappear, since I have a ton of stuff I need to do. Goodnight!

No comments: