Wednesday, April 18, 2012

kingdom of the gods

I must go to bed immediately...after days and days of going to bed before midnight, I suddenly stayed up until three a.m. reading, which didn't kill me only because I took a long nap this afternoon. I spent the morning hanging out with Salim; he made me breakfast, and then we watched cartoons and some Food Network programming, which was great. Then I drove to Palo Alto, bought a bunch of padded envelopes at Office Max, grabbed lunch, and was going to go to Stanford Library, but I came home instead, where I promptly took a nap. Then I wrote for a couple of hours, but it was somewhat slow going since I'm still working through some of the issues of Nick and Ellie's story. Bleh.

So I spent the late afternoon/evening/night, with a two-hour break to hang out with Terry, reading a book - THE KINGDOM OF THE GODS, by NK Jemisin, which came out last fall and which I've been hoarding on my shelves waiting for the right moment to read it, since it was the end of her Inheritance trilogy. I read the whole thing, of course, and I cried through the last eighty or so pages...not sobbing, precisely, but my duvet is now wet with my tears, which is a little weird. If you're into epic fantasy, this is a great trilogy, but I'm not sure who amongst my friends I would recommend it to, since it's more of a dark musing on theology and immortality than it is a swords-and-sorcery epic.

Anyway, I really must sleep if I'm going to get any writing done tomorrow -- goodnight!

No comments: