Sunday, April 08, 2012

mystic crystal revelation

If anyone wants to convince a semi-hermity pseudo-octogenarian to move to Denver, they should hire Katie and James to do the marketing. That may sound like an insult, but I'm having a fabulous time. Today was filled with my favorite things -- friends, tasty food, shopping, napping, drinking, more tasty food, and ridiculous television. I got up around nine-ish, showered, and then hung out with Katie while James made breakfast for us. I'm sensing that my ulcer friend is returning (I woke up nauseated in the middle of the night, but since I felt totally sober, it couldn't have been last night's encounter with several mojitos), so Katie drove me to a pharmacy to buy some antacids -- yay for that. When we got back, James served up some awesome breakfast -- fried potatoes, lovely slices of mango and oranges, and some awesome eggs that he cooked within rings of red peppers. Yum.

Properly fortified, Katie and I went to the mall, where we wandered through several stores. I was so, so close to getting out of the mall without buying anything (even though we hit up several of my weaknesses, particularly Anthropologie and the Nordstrom shoe department). However, we walked through the Nordstrom jewelry department on the way out, and I wanted to show Katie my favorite cocktail ring designer (Mars and Valentine)...and the saleswoman helpfully pointed out that some of the rings were on sale. They happened to have a ring from an earlier collection that I'd coveted wistfully for months, and they happened to have it in my size, and it happened to be 50% off...so I bought it, and felt absolutely no regret. I'd given myself permission to buy a new pair of sunglasses, but I'll take the ring any day -- so I felt quite pleased with myself. Yes, I'm ridiculous.

After the mall, we went to Whole Foods and stocked up on food and snacky snacks before coming home and taking a nap. Several weeks ago James had made reservations for us for this new restaurant that is difficult to get in to, so we went at eight p.m. -- and I must say that the hype was entirely deserved. It's called Linger, and it's in an industrial-looking space that used to be the Olinger Mortuary, which is morbid and also fascinating. They brought us popcorn to munch on while we waited for our table, and then more popcorn while we decided what to order. I had a Hemingway daiquiri, of course, and it was quite good; James had a Moscow mule, which I've never had, and which is apparently served in a copper mug, much to my surprise. We split an order of dates wrapped in bacon and stuffed with goat cheese, which was absolutely fantastic.

The restaurant is inspired by street food, and they had varieties of street food from around the world. Katie got this v. interesting mediterranean dish that was chicken, almonds, raisins, cinnamon, etc. wrapped in a puff pastry, which I think won entree of the evening for its sheer uniqueness (although I only had a tiny bite due to the gluten sadness). James had some tacos that were also fantastic, and a sort of duck bun that looked terrific. I had the beef sliders with bacon, which I ordered because they had gluten free buns as an option (classy of them), with some great sweet potato fries and a chipotle ketchup.

But dessert was out of this world amazing. James and Katie shared a Mississippi mud pie that looked good, albeit a bit too crazily decadent after stuffing ourselves with meat. I ordered the only non-ice cream gluten free dessert on the menu, the 'peanut butter and jelly cup', which I wasn't sure I would like at first -- but it may be one of the best desserts I've ever, ever had. It was this v. creamy, interesting peanut butter, with a homemade grape coulis and some whipped cream, wrapped in a 'cup' of v. thin dark chocolate. That still sounds simple, but you'll have to believe me that if I never get to have dessert again in my life, I would be happy that this was the last one.

Properly stuffed, we came home and watched some tv, and they initiated me into 'Portlandia', which was v. entertaining. And now, I should really go to sleep -- goodnight, and happy Easter!

No comments: