Tuesday, April 10, 2012

you don't know you're beautiful

Today was entirely successful, but I'm glad it's over, since I was more nervous than I realized (even if I manage to come off as a completely cool customer to those around me). I slept in this morning, then took care of some various tings before driving into downtown Denver to meet up with a romance writing friend, Maire, who finaled with me for the Golden Heart in 2011 (and won her category; she writes historical romance, while I write Regency, but the Regency and historical categories are pretty close sisters). We ate at an Italian place, where I had some amazing lamb meatballs over polenta (which I'm pretty sure just made my father throw up in his mouth a little, given his aversion to lamb), and we talked and gossiped about writing and the industry to our hearts' content. Then I grabbed an iced latte, came back to Katie's, and spent some quality time figuring out what I was reading tonight. Yes, I put it off. If you thought I wouldn't put it off, you really don't know me at all. I also packed most of my suitcase, since I have to leave the house at 6:30am tomorrow -- bleh.

Anyway, I got all dressed up and went downtown early so that I could find the place, park, and get some fortifying beverages before the event (a strawberry soda, not alcohol). I had previously decided I didn't really need to practice, but I ended up panicking and reading the whole thing v. quietly to myself in the corner of the cafe -- irony, since I had previously looked askance at the vagrant who was muttering to herself in the other corner. I also wrote two pages of a completely different project than anything I'm working on -- I had this idea for a novella about Malcolm's distant ancestor, the first earl, and his 'courtship'/kidnapping of his bride, since I love raunchy medievals and it could be a fun promo/giveaway/sales tie-in to SCOTSMEN. So many ideas, so little time...

Finally I went to the wine bar where the reading event was held, and had a malbec to take the edge off while I waited for my turn. The ladies who organized it were totally sweet, and there were probably ~15 people there, which was just the right size for me to give a first reading in front of without feeling too small. Katie came, as did Maire, so I had some moral support. And I thought it went well, even if I think I left them wanting Prudence's story instead of Malcolm and Amelia's -- oops, since I haven't even plotted Prudence yet.

After the reading, Katie and I came home (with a sudden but v. necessary detour to a frozen yogurt place) and hung out with James until bedtime. And now I really must sleep; I have to get up in six hours, which is better than the schedule I had on the way out here, but not by much. Denver has been a blast, though, and even though I'm eager to sleep in my own bed again, I'm glad I spent a long weekend with Katie and James (particularly since their cat, the appropriately-named Chewie, didn't even bite me a single time). Goodnight!

1 comment:

~Wamp said...

I apparently hadn't read your blog since March 30th but I stopped by to get all caught up on you and to use this forum as a place to wish our Aunt a happy birthday! (She has more birthday left by reading this in California time).