Thursday, April 18, 2013

i must've been a dreamer, and i must've been someone else

Things I hate: my commute. Seriously. I spent the morning commute feeling carsick and looking at Craigslist postings of apartments in Palo Alto. I thought I could handle commuting for a year or two, until I either quit, moved to Palo Alto, or made myself so indispensable that they let me work from SF...but it's only been three months and I already feel like murdering thousands of people or trying to get into some massive speculative stock trades that would cause the tech bubble to burst just so that there are fewer people on the road every day. Clearly I overestimated my ability to handle sitting on a bus for ten or fifteen hours a week.

However, things I love: NAPOLEON IN EGYPT. Tonight, in despair, I downloaded a nonfiction book since I was too enraged to sink into any romantic fiction. And reading NAPOLEON IN EGYPT felt vaguely productive, since it's research for Alex and Prudence (I didn't tell you that, since the whole thing could change and not involve Egypt at all). But the book is seriously awesome - Napoleon was both incredibly gifted and incredibly mad, believing himself to be destined to be the next Alexander the Great, and he had the drive and the determination to try to conquer Egypt in what was the greatest sea invasion in the entire world up to that time. Craziness. From the vague bits I know I'm pretty sure it ends in tears (for Napoleon, at least), but the journey is totally fascinating, and the writing is conversational enough to be immensely readable and enjoyable.

I had wanted to go to Nettie's Crab Shack and have fish tacos and a nice glass of wine, but I instead had a tuna salad sandwich and stole a glass of wine for Terry, so I suppose I had the sad, cheap version of what I really wanted. And the rest of my day was fine, I guess; work was fine, and I had a nice, quick lunch with Heather (aka dear respected madam), which helped. Now, though, I must sleep; I have to go to Mountain View tomorrow morning, but I need to come back early to get my bangs trimmed and my brows waxed, so hopefully the traffic doesn't turn me homicidal. Goodnight!

No comments: