Friday, April 12, 2013

they're more like tsunami tides in my eyes

It's a tragedy that I have to get up at 7:30 tomorrow just like it's a work day. But, it's my monthly romance writer meeting, and I'm driving the speaker to the meeting, so I can't be late. Not that I want to be late, and the speaker is super cool, so I'm looking forward to it. But still, the idea of lazing in bed until ten is super appealing.

And it's sentences like those that make me wonder whether I can ever have kids or be a functional adult. Granted, I sleep in less than I used to, and keep something a little closer to normal people hours...but only under duress. I was searching my laptop for something just now, and I stumbled across some blog posts from 2004 that I deleted when I restarted this blog in an attempt to be more positive and less passive-aggressive/angsty. And I only read a few of them, but they were all about getting off work, going and hanging out on campus, going to Pizza My Heart with Walter, and generally staying up until two or three or four or six a.m. What happened to me? I used to have plans almost every single night. But then key people (like Walter, and Claudia, and Ritu, and Tammy, and Pincubus, etc.) moved away, and I lost touch with some others, and I got old and tired, and probably most importantly I started aggressively pursuing publication and so started spending more free time writing instead of socializing. And I don't really regret that decision, but there are times when I miss all the ridiculous stuff I used to do...

But I digress. Today was mostly non-ridiculous. I went to work, slogged (sort of), and left at 2:30 so I could drive my car home. Traffic was awesome until it suddenly wasn't, and so what looked like a fifty-minute commute ended up taking an hour and a half. Boo. But I came home, cleaned up the kitchen, messed around with my latest romance idea for just a bit, and then took a nap (rather desultorily, and I didn't really fall asleep). Then I changed clothes, caught a bus, and went to the Financial District for dinner at Tadich Grill. Dinner was with tomorrow's guest speaker, her sister (and fellow business parter, who isn't speaking but came along to sightsee), and four members of the romance chapter. And it was totally fun and lovely, even if the waiter did kick us out of the table when we were done (I haven't been kicked out of a table in forever, and given that the entrees are thirty dollars I thought it was a little rude). Then, Theresa dropped me off at my place, and we spent half an hour parked outside gossiping about the publishing industry before she went home. And now, I should sleep; I do better with nine hours, and I can almost get it if I go to bed now. Yes, see the paragraph above about how I'm getting old, and then point this out to me the next time I say that I don't know why I'm not as social as I used to be. Goodnight!

No comments: