Sunday, April 14, 2013

and in a single moment it all implodes

I successfully spent less than thirty minutes on a laptop today, which was amazing...but not at all what I should have done, since I had intended to design new bookmarks today. Damn.

But I have no regrets. I woke up at 8:30 (okay, that's a regret), showered, and drove down to Mission Beach Cafe, where I was supposed to have brunch with Walter (aka the Talbotross), who was in town v. briefly. But the line was already super long, and so instead I picked him up and we came straight back here to have brunch at my favorite cafe (where I was correct in predicting that they would comment on the fact that Walter and I were wearing matchy-matchy red shirts by accident, since they're used to seeing me by myself and would do a double-take anyway when I walked in with a dude, let alone with a dude wearing the same color shirt as me). After brunch, we wandered down to Fort Mason, looked around the used bookstore there, and then sat on a bench by the water and watched some kid flailing about in an abortive attempt at learning how to windsurf (which didn't cease to be funny even after he fell in the water for the second time).

After that, though, I needed to work, and so I very sadly bid Walter a fond farewell. Then, I met up with Adit for a work date at Coffee Bar; Adit may be the only person I can work with effectively, even though we're working on totally different stuff and take breaks periodically to taunt each other. I was v. v. pleased with what I got done there; I didn't take my laptop, since I intended to design bookmarks tonight, but I did write six or seven pages of notes that includes a potential three-book arc for this new series idea I'm playing with. The arc felt good and the books felt like they could be really interesting, so I'm going to play around with it some more and see if any more character details or intriguing plot points come out.

I took a break to call my parents, and after that I didn't really want to get back into brainstorming, so I answered a couple of emails before Adit decided he needed to go. So I gave him a ride home with the intention of working there, but Priyanka was awake and getting ready to go to her night shift, so the three of us talked about publishing and serializing stories and whether I should build an online community around serialization, etc. Then Priyanka went to work and Adit and I had family time dinner at a totally fantastic Japanese restaurant at 18th and Mission. The food was fab and the family time even moreso, and now I'm extremely full, racing with writing ideas, and wondering how I'm going to get everything done that I need to get done in the rest of my life. And I'm also wishing I had already designed my bookmarks...but if I do it tomorrow night, I don't think it's too late to get them ordered. I just need to get on it asap...but since I have to be at work at 8:30 tomorrow, I think sleep is more important. Goodnight!

No comments: