Saturday, April 27, 2013

we are never ever ever getting back together

I should have gone to sleep ages ago. Yes, it's only 10pm, which is only 8pm in California, but I have to get up at 4:30am, which is going to come way too soon. Ugh.

However, today was awesome. I got all dolled up in an orange dress (don't tell my mother, since she hates orange) and had just enough time for breakfast before going into the event to get my stuff set up. I was sharing a table with Jade Lee, who writes a bunch of historical/fantasy/erotica under a couple of different names and is a nonstop laugh riot. We had five readers sitting with us, two of whom I met at RomCon last year, so it was fun to reconnect with them. And the event itself was great - very well organized, decent enough food, and a good keynote from James Rollins (a bit odd, since he was one of the only guys there and the only male author, but still very funny). I also sold 80% of my books at the signing - it's less impressive if I tell you it was four out of the five Barnes and Noble ordered to sell there, since five was not a particularly large or encouraging order, but still, selling four books to total strangers at $12.99 apiece made me pretty happy.

After, I hung out with Sabrina Jeffries for awhile, then had a drink with some other authors/readers (Cherry Adair and Carla Neggers were the authors, if you read those subgenres), and then pled exhaustion and came back to my room. I wanted to go to sleep immediately, but I was too hungry to sleep, so I took my laptop down to the restaurant and wrote three fast-draft pages of Alex and Prudence's intro while eating a steak and nursing a diet coke. Then I came upstairs, repacked my stuff, and spent the last couple of hours working on a handout for a workshop I'm giving at this romance conference I'm going to next week.

And now, I must sleep. But I'm super psyched about writing, and I'm looking forward to this conference next week...and I'm wondering how I'm going to concentrate on the day job for the two days that I'm working from home in between. Dilemmas, dilemmas. Goodnight!

No comments: