Saturday, May 24, 2014

hey now, you're an all-star

After getting less than six hours of sleep last night and drinking at altitude today, I'm utterly wiped out. However, I'm having an awesome time in Denver, even if our only meals were breakfast and supper like we're medieval peasants. But if medieval peasants had survived on mimosas and Mexican food, they probably would've been a lot happier and less prone to lynching witches.

sssanyway, I was awoken this morning by infernal screeches - coming from Katie and James's cat Chewy, not from their sweet and precious daughter. Chewy and I have long-standing animosity, although he has yet to bite me on this trip; he did commandeer my lap for half an hour or so while I was watching 'House Hunters' and Katie and James were putting their child to bed, but I consider that a brief truce in our take-no-prisoners war. So I rolled out of bed and hung out in the living room for a couple of hours, at which point we all realized we were starving. So we had brunch at a cute and tasty restaurant down the street; my omelette was good, albeit not filling enough to soak up my mimosas, but Katie's pork hash was the winner. Then we came home, Katie and I took her daughter for a walk (and got a much-needed iced latte for me from some hipsters down the street, since I'm in hipster withdrawal), and then we came back, where I said I was going to shower but instead snuck a twenty-minute nap. Yes, I'm a wreck.

But I eventually pulled myself together, and we spent some quality time out on the patio listening to nineties classics while the toddler napped (marginally successfully). Then we had a v. early dinner (5pm hour of power!) at a v. delicious Mexican place; my barbacoa beef enchiladas were perfect, and the margaritas were large and in charge. Katie drove me, James, and the toddler around in an attempt to lull us all to sleep as retribution for making her the designated driver - or maybe she was trying to convince me to move here, since Denver is awesome. Then we spent the rest of the night relaxing over some fine home-buying tv shows, alternately laughing at and mourning the stupidity of humanity.

And now I must sleep if I am to be a good houseguest tomorrow and not kill the cat as soon as it starts screeching - goodnight!

No comments: