Monday, May 26, 2014

stella luna

I have returned to San Francisco, where I shall luxuriate in work (since that's all I have) for the next four days before leaving for NYC on Saturday. But seeing Katie was just what the doctor ordered; I had a lot of fun in Denver, even if I am suspicious of the chances that I will pick up some awful illness from either Katie's toddler or the people on the plane. We woke up pretty early today and had breakfast at a v. hipster-ish cafe, which made me feel like I was back in San Francisco even if the entrees were probably 15-20% cheaper than they would have been here. Also, I got to have grits, which made me happy. Then we drove around for an hour or so and saw a bit of scenery - I tend to forget that Denver has scenery when I go there, since I spend most of my time in Katie's house or at a bar or restaurant, but it turns out that Denver has mountains! Who knew?

However, all too soon it was time for me to pack up, kiss the toddler on the nose (although I couldn't find a buyer for her, unlike the Ox Cart Man), and go to the airport. Parting was such sweet sorrow since I'll probably never see Katie again (that's a dramatic way of saying it will probably be 6-12 months). But I made it into the airport and through security in time to eat lunch before boarding my flight. Once on board, I got some writing done, but I kept falling asleep thanks to a judicious application of Dramamine. Then I came home, did some work, went to eat something while writing a bit, and then spent the last three hours doing financial stuff in preparation for my quarterly tax estimates. The fact that I've gone on several big writing events and have a ton of receipts this quarter doesn't make me a happy camper, even if the fact that I'm selling books makes it all worth it.

But now I must sleep, as I must return to the man tomorrow and get some hardcore slogging done for the day job - goodnight!

No comments: