Tuesday, May 13, 2014

when the saints go marching in

Why haven't I moved to New Orleans? It probably has something to do with the heat, lack of tech jobs, general post-Katrina issues, the fact that everything has flour in it...but when I allow myself to dream, as I did over a cocktail this afternoon, the idea of living here seems glorious.

Today was v. nice, albeit v. lazy. I slept until nine (not that great, since I went to bed after one), showered, put on a dress, ate a snack, and met a couple of people to go to Cafe du Monde, where I exercised extreme restraint and ignored the beignets (which looked so fucking delicious). At least I could have the coffee, which I proceeded to drink like a teetotaler trying to avoid temptation. After I was done with the people I met up with (who were lovely, but it was for day job stuff, not writing stuff), I wandered around the French Quarter before eventually having a late lunch at a restaurant overlooking Jackson Square. I sat on the second-floor balcony and enjoyed a tasty cocktail, some absolutely delicious sausage and duck gumbo, and a salad (I'm trying to be good(ish)). At that point I thought I was done, but I got upsold on the creme brulee by a fabulously personable waitress - and it was worth it, since it was the first time I've ever seen creme brulee served on a plate, which meant that there was an extreme amount of caramelized surface area. I only ate half of it, but it was worth every bite.

Then I came back to the hotel, wished I could take a nap, and instead picked up my conference registration, checked in my books for Saturday's signing, and spent an hour on a conference call for the day job. Then I met up with some of the Rubies (the '09 GH finalists) to drink wine and stuff gift bags for the workshop we're giving on Friday. That wrapped up around eight, and then four of us (me, Vivi, Tammy, and Anne Marie) had supper at a cafe down the street. I had the pork shank, which really could shank someone if the bones were chewed clean and sharpened, and it fulfilled my need for protein even if I was eyeing Vivi's gumbo like a fucking addict.

But now I must sleep so I can do this all again tomorrow - I have a breakfast date, a lunch date + a dinner date, and I'm giving a workshop, and I have an appointment for an adventure that I shall tell you about in due time. Goodnight!

No comments: