Saturday, November 15, 2014

you take me by the heart when you take me by the hand

I did no work of any kind at all today, beyond making a to-do list. I am as shocked as you are.

I could probably leave it at that, since all of your heads have exploded from the impossibility of the earlier statement and I have no readers left, but I'll persevere for posterity. I woke up relatively early this morning and went to breakfast at my favorite cafe at 8:45ish, where I wrote the aforementioned to-do lists, wrote in my journal, and lingered over my coffee. But as I was paying, I got a text from Adit asking if I wanted to go on a hike. This is the kind of text that I usually ignore since I usually feel like I have to work, but since I was determined to relax today and knew I could only do it if I was forced to, I said yes. So he and Priyanka (and their friend Blake) picked me up, and we went over the Golden Gate to Mt. Tam to pursue our adventure.

It was a perfectly gorgeous day for this - a bit cool, but not too cool (and certainly not as cool as those of you suffering from polar vortices), and the forest was amazing. We parked and went ~3mi down Steep Ravine trail, which was, unsurprisingly, a trail down a steep ravine from the mountain to the ocean at Stinson Beach. It wasn't ridiculously crazy steep, although there was one point that required climbing down a ladder, but I was perhaps too focused on placing my feet in such a way as to not slip on a wet rock and die that I didn't look up at the redwoods as much as I probably should have. But it was a great outing, and none of us died, so that was a bonus.

When we got near the beach, we parted ways; Adit and Blake ran back up the other half of the trail to retrieve the car (fools, but I'm grateful they did it), while Priyanka and I took a leisurely stroll into Stinson Beach, split a vanilla milkshake, and sat on the beach talking about romance novels and life in general while we waited for our ride. I think we got the better end of the deal. Then we drove home, and I had exactly twenty minutes to shower off the worst of the sand and sweat before getting a massage. The massage was only aight, probably because I require a deep connection with my massage therapist and I knew within seconds that this woman wasn't it.

Yes, this entire post reinforces that I've become entirely too upscale-but-crunchy-California and must be euthanized.

sssanyway, after the massage I came home, showered again, and then dragged Terry to my favorite Greek place, where we befriended the bartender (Marco, whom I'd met before) and ate chicken and drank wine and discussed v. strange recurring nightmares. Then we came home, I finished THE GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS (also aight), and now I'm going to rest my legs (jawbone says I took 22000 steps today!) and sleep. Goodnight!

No comments: