Sunday, November 23, 2014

caught in the undertow

I'm in Maui, bitches! Maybe that's not a kind thing to say to those of you who aren't here, but #sorrynotsorry. Today was entirely taken up with getting ready for and leaving on my trip. I got up reasonably early and packed, then had brunch with Terry at my favorite cafe (where Tony, the owner, gave us mimosas for thanksgiving). After brunch, I sped over to my nail place to get them to fix a premature chip in my manicure (I'm insufferable these days), picked up some last minute tings, and then did an hour of day job work to leave things in good shape for my absence.

And then I went to the airposte, sped through security, ate a late lunch, grabbed some coffee, and departed slightly late but mostly without incident. I spent the plane ride drinking a glass of champagne (well, cava, but I can suffer pedestrian sparkling wines occasionally) and reading a book - I got all the way through THE COLDEST GIRL IN COLDTOWN, a vampire YA that I really mostly liked. I finished it at the Maui airport while waiting for Heather, who landed twenty minutes after me...and then our vacation began in earnest.

We found the rental car with nowhere near as much trouble as the experience I had picking up a rental car in Germany last month, then drove to our hotel. We are staying in a deliciously fancy place, where we had deliciously fancy cocktails and I embraced the fact that I may be the only person I know who genuinely enjoys mai tais. We also ate a late dinner while beginning to catch up - I've barely seen Heather (aka dear respected madam) in months, so our days of solitude together are long overdue.

But now it's 12:30am here, which is 2:30am in California, and I'm desperate to sleep so that I can spend tomorrow pursuing either cirrhosis or melanoma. Goodnight!

No comments: