Friday, January 15, 2016

even if we can't find heaven, i'll walk through hell with you

I'm in Tahoe, which I am slowly coming to associate, pavlovian-style, with intense work instead of fun vacations. When I packed this morning, my suitcase consisted almost entirely of loungewear (yoga tights, slippers, scarves, etc.), and I had to bring two extra totebags with paper, pens, markers, my portable keyboard and trackpad, more sweatshirts, books, etc., etc. Considering that almost all of my Tahoe trips in the past five years have been for writing retreats (either solo or in groups), it's no wonder I think that coming to the mountains = work instead of fun.

But that's fine with me - I do want to get back up here for a fun snowy break sometime this season, but it's MLK weekend, which means even if I wanted to do a ski lesson, the crowds would be prohibitive for my hermity heart. So I packed my stuff this morning and made it out the door by ten, and traffic was miraculously good (especially after last night's horrendous debacle getting to/from Berkeley) - I was expecting some early holiday rush, but I didn't hit any delays at all, and there was no line for lunch at the In-n-Out in Placerville.

So I got here a little after two, which was exactly when Barbara and her husband arrived. We hauled our stuff into the house and sat around until Bella and her family showed up, and then several of us went over to Safeway to stock up on groceries (and were amazed that Safeway was also relatively empty - something I trust will not be the case later in the weekend).

Then, I spent the rest of the afternoon working with Barbara and Bella; Bella's family is up here to ski, and Barbara's husband will somehow amuse himself, but we're working all weekend. All of that went well, but we hit a wall sometime around seven as we all got progressively hungrier waiting for our pizza to arrive (which took almost two hours from when we ordered, and they screwed up Bella's in the worst way possible (she had ordered gluten-free, cheese-free veggie and they brought a gluten-free meat-lovers with extra cheese instead - so I ate some of that, and they had to bring her a new pizza later)). So we finally ate, and then we sat around talking until almost ten.

But now, I really need to sleep so that I can be wildly productive tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: