Monday, January 25, 2016

pale prophecy

Last night's break from the social whirl paid off, even though I had a bit of regret when I heard that the plan I bailed on turned out to be quite fun. But really, I had no regret - I needed nine hours of sleep and a bunch of water instead of whisky, and that's exactly what I had. So I got up a little after eight ready to hit the day, and I showered, made myself some iced coffee, and was at my desk (and by desk I mean kitchen table, but I live in a studio so that's the best I can do) by 9:15.

First up on the list was a video chat with Kathia - we hadn't caught up since before the holidays, although we had exchanged some emails/texts, so we had a lot to say. Her life is more dramatic than mine at the moment, especially since she's contending with a blizzard, so it was good to talk (and to catch her up on my usual drama, which is not particularly dramatic at the moment). After we finished talking, I made myself an omelette with my new omelette pan and John's omelette technique, and it was so fucking good. Granted, I included some delicious (and deliciously overpriced) ham, and mushrooms and green onions, and monterey jack cheese, so it wasn't just the eggs that were good - but all together, it was totally perfect and now I want to eat an omelette every morning for the rest of my life (except on the mornings when I want to have salmon and cream cheese, of course...or the mornings when I'm hungover and go down to the marina so Tony can make me some huevos rancheros).

And then I got a pedicure, because my toenails were looking beat and I'm too much of a princess to neglect them. Then I worked for a couple of hours on a secret project, and I'm still debating what to do about this secret project, but we shall see. Then, I had my usual phone call with my parents - we talked health and politics and weather and Iowa State basketball on their side, which is pretty par for the course, and we talked writing and ridiculousness on my side, which is also pretty par for the course - but it was good to talk to them, as per usual.

After that, I worked on Rafe and Octavia for an hour. Then, I accidentally took a ten minute nap, and then woke up with a start and realized that I needed to leave immediately. So I put on real pants and ran out the door to meet up with Katrina. We had a quick, healthy, reasonably priced (ish - for SF, at least) dinner at Spinnerie, which is the rotisserie place near me - while we have seen each other pretty often since I got back from Iowa, we hadn't really had much of a chance to catch up on our own, so it was great to have a bit of a lowkey hangout.

We continued the lowkey hangout at Hemlock, where we had a hot toddy and talked while waiting for the main act of the evening - a comedy show hosted by Anchor Brewing, which included a performance by Sean Keane, who is friends with Vidya and Katrina and a bunch of other mutual people (although I haven't really crossed paths with him much). John showed up before the show, and he's friends with Sean as well, so Sean ended up talking to us before his performance (the whole thing was running like an hour late).

Then we went into the room where the show was happening, and there was a bizarre bit with the Anchor rep, who was asking people if they had any questions about beer or brewing or anything else, while ignoring the fact that the crowd clearly wanted to get to the comedians and the band. John later called the guy 'Beer Santa', which should give you a picture of what he looked like. But he finally left, and the first performer started (Caitlin Gill), and she was totally awesome and told a great story about stripping in front of a group of strippers whose holiday party she was performing for.

And then Sean performed and he was great too, and I loved his story of accidentally becoming a river troll while high on shrooms, but John later told me that his story about a proposal at a baseball game was all made up, so now I feel like the whole world is a lie and that I can't trust anyone ever again. Sad times. But I laughed a lot and wondered why I don't go to comedy shows more often, and then I remembered that I went to this one because it was free and less than two blocks from my house, and then I stopped feeling bad about my past decisions.

Eventually, though, it ended, and we all parted ways, and now I am writing this to you so that you will not be mad at me tomorrow when you check the blog and discover that I didn't post. You're welcome. Goodnight!

No comments: