Monday, January 25, 2016

f*%$ you, julio senior

I had an awesome day. On some intellectual level, I know that I do better (mentally/emotionally, at least) when I'm slightly overscheduled, and yet for the last few months I shied away from overscheduling because of the irrationally opposite belief that I needed wide-open swathes of time in which to get work done. Lol. Past Sara was a trainwreck, I think. But Present Sara owned it today, and I hope Future Sara learns from the last couple of weeks of overly-scheduled time and implements some changes.

sssanyway. Today was one of those overscheduled days. Which is not to say, of course, that it was hard - I got up at 8:30, as opposed to the 5:30am start time I had when I was commuting, and was still working by 9:15. I slogged v. diligently for a couple of hours, and then I ate a quick breakfast, packed my gym bag and my laptop, and drove to San Mateo.

I went to Equinox for the first time in two months, so I'm probably going to be super sore tomorrow - but it was great to go back, and I seem to have outlasted the first three weeks' worth of new years resolutioners, because the gym was the same level of crowded that it was in November. I did some squats and lunges and kettlebell swings, and then I did some cleans/presses and some snatches, and it all felt great even though I realized I'd lost my calluses (they'll come back quickly).

The amusing thing, though, was that I was working out near this super fit-looking girl who was doing some interesting-looking things, interspersed with jumping ropes (which I'm way too uncoordinated to pull off). I was in 'I haven't been to the gym in two months' mode and feeling like a poser, and just kind of assumed she was judging me. But as I was putting away my chalk and putting my shoes back on, she asked me where I learned my kettlebell exercises, and I ended up showing her how to do a clean and press. This is the third time since leaving Alyssa that someone has complimented my form / asked me if I'm certified, so apparently Alyssa did me right. And I got some tips from the girl on other kettlebell exercises to look up on YouTube, so that was kind of fun, in the end, and it teaches me to stop ignoring/judging people at the gym.

sssanyway again. I showered, grabbed lunch in the cafe, and then went to Starbucks and wrote for a couple of hours with Anne and Barbara. I have like five different possible opening scenes going, and so today was about comparing them all and trying to stitch them together into one scene - I didn't finish, but I made good progress.

And then, I met Shedletsky for happy hour in San Carlos, where we drank a lot of pinot noir and discussed tech-related things. Then, we adjourned to an italian restaurant and had dinner with Tina (aka Bride of Shedletsky), and continued to discuss life, and also discussed a possible trip to Macchu Picchu (aka Macho Pikachu, in Shedletsky-speak).

So, that was all great. And then I drove home, and now I need to sleep; tomorrow is more low-key than today, although I have grand lunch plans with Gyre. And low-key is good - while overscheduling myself is good, I think I'm in the mood to be productive, and there are many, many things on my to-do list that I could apply myself to if I feel like getting out of bed. So I'm going to get into bed now and see if that happens - goodnight!

No comments: