Saturday, January 30, 2016

love, you're not alone

The last half of the day went off in a totally serendipitous, unexpected direction...I felt like I was headed for a hermit Saturday, and it turned out to be the opposite. I had trouble getting out of bed this morning, and I think forcing myself to get out of bed earlier is probably the thing I need to work on next - because I rarely have morning commitments, I tend to wake up at an earlyish hour and then lie in bed for another hour, which is usually not a good idea since I end up in some sort of weird half-awake fugue state which sometimes turns into wonderful daydreams, but other times turns into awful memories/nightmares. So I should probably sacrifice the daydream chances and get out of bed as soon as I wake up, rather than lying there and tempting the nightmares to come.

sssanyway. I finally got out of bed, put on some clothes, and went to Philz, where I worked for a couple of hours. I also stopped in at Books Inc and browsed around for awhile and bought three books (which is better than buying twenty, which is what I wanted to do), so that was a gorgeous interlude. Then I came home, made an omelette, sat on the couch, and debated what to do next - I was supposed to have drinks tonight, but those plans were postponed, and I was also supposed to have a video call, but that was postponed as well.

So I finally decided to shower, put on something cute, and walk to Fillmore to run a couple of errands, with the possibility of either writing on Fillmore after or grabbing a drink someplace. But just as I was finishing getting dressed, Katrina texted to say she was nearby. So I met her on Van Ness, and we walked to Arlequin, where we split some fries and started talking about venn diagrams of friends + romance publishing success + a variety of other topics. We were also hating on the incredibly loud, obnoxious group of people near us...

....when we looked up and realized that Vidya had joined them and was introducing herself to everyone. OF COURSE SHE WAS. It turns out that she was also on the Arlequin patio with Rajiv and Sheila, but they were in the back corner and Katrina and I hadn't seen them. So we joined them, and then John showed up, and John/Rajiv/Sheila/I sat on the edge of the drunken mess of people with Vidya as the only bridge between us.

So that was fun enough, but eventually we emancipated ourselves and went to Noir Lounge, where the six of us commandeered a table for six (which slowly turned into a table for nine over the next hour or so). Vidya's friends Dan and Jared showed up, as did Sheila and John's friend Jenny, and we had an utterly ridiculous conversation involving last chances to have babies, cannibal jokes, secret vasectomies, and other inexplicable topics.

We ended up splitting up - John/Rajiv/Sheila/Jenny went to the Richmond to celebrate an early Chinese New Year, and I went with Vidya/Dan/Jared/Katrina to The Page (at Page and Divis), where they intended to have a drink before a concert. Katrina went home fairly shortly thereafter, since she lived nearby, but I stayed until concert time. I was theoretically invited to the concert, but since it was sold out, I knew it wasn't in the cards. However, we had a delightful time; the threesome that Jared/Dan/I were planning failed to materialize, but I had a long convo with Dan about writing for blogs. And we grabbed food next door at Little Chihuahua, which now has a burrito-sized gluten free tortilla, which means I had my first burrito in several years and was in heaven because of it.

And then I came home, and now I'm going to sleep with the intention of getting out of bed right when I wake up tomorrow rather than indulging in dreamland. Goodnight!

No comments: